Why would I go with a desktop amp in 2020?
May 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GravityEyelids

100+ Head-Fier
So portable options have come a very long way in the past few years. My question is this: why would I choose a desktop (solid state) amp over a portable one? Things like the Monolith THX-AAA portable, Fiio Q5/s, etc offer a TON of features and seemingly enough power to drive even harder headphones, especially if run balanced. Some of these offer MORE features than their desktop counterparts, such as various EQ options, DSP, bluetooth, a variety of inputs, etc. And a lot of these units can be found for $200-300 new and as low as $150 used. Even the Fiio Q1 is a viable option if you don't need something crazy powerful and packed with features, and that thing goes for dirt cheap used.

Is it just ergonomics and power? Neither of these seem like a dealbreaker. Sure, being able to have it on your desktop and having a nice big knob is nice, but a portable one can be run from USB as well and quickly grabbed for use outside, brought to your bedside, doesn't require external power, etc. I realize that you can get desktop amps for like $100 that are possibly more powerful than portable ones, but it seems like even like $200 desktop options are limited in features compared to comparable (or sometimes cheaper) portable ones, and a lot of desktop options don't even have built in DACs or balanced outputs.

For me in particular, i already have a little Loxjie that i can use with my HD6XX, which is even more reason for me to not pick up ANOTHER desktop amp.

Thoughts?

May 7, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 4
What issue are you trying to solve?
Are you looking for an excuse to upgrade from the Loxjie P20?

May 8, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 4
What issue are you trying to solve?
Are you looking for an excuse to upgrade from the Loxjie P20?

I was going to ask the same pretty much. If you don't see the need for it, they you don't need it?

I need it because my DAC-9H serves as a preamp for my amp to drive speakers too. That was my use case for a desktop setup.

May 8, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 4
So portable options have come a very long way in the past few years. My question is this: why would I choose a desktop (solid state) amp over a portable one?

Because graphene isn't widely used for headphone driver parts yet to deliver performance with sensitivity even closer to a decent in-ear monitor.

Things like the Monolith THX-AAA portable, Fiio Q5/s, etc offer a TON of features and seemingly enough power to drive even harder headphones, especially if run balanced.

Keyword: "seemingly."

Preferably you need about 512mW for a 93dB/1mW headphone, and a 182mW/1mW for a 97dB/1mW headphone.

You get around 300mW at 32ohms, and still get under 70mW into 300ohms.

Basically you see that some people have a Miata and a MazdaSpeed 3, and you ask why the need for a V8 Biturbo or two electric engines...without considering how a 2.5Lturbocharged 4cyl engine does trying to get past a lorry in an Audi RS7 before slamming into oncoming traffic (or how the 2.5L doesn't fit properly into a Model S). Which is why Bentleys used to use low horsepower, ridiculously torquey but smooth engines so you can get that barge past anything quickly.

Some of these offer MORE features than their desktop counterparts, such as various EQ options, DSP, bluetooth...

That's because Marketing doesn't see why anyone who can use a phone without having to strap it or a desktop computer will need a DSP chip to do EQ or other DSP on their amp when that can be done in the digital stage by the host device.

Or not need Bluetooth.

...a variety of inputs, etc.

I dunno...I still think desktop DAC-HPamps have more inputs if you spend more on it or sacrifice in other parameters.
1588926763335.png

And a lot of these units can be found for $200-300 new and as low as $150 used. Even the Fiio Q1 is a viable option if you don't need something crazy powerful and packed with features, and that thing goes for dirt cheap used.

"If."

That's the thing.

Add the whole graphene thing with how some people will choose a sound compromise they can live with or like, plus ergonomics, but it might not be graphene, so they get an amp.

Note "they," because that doesn't necessarily mean it applies to you.

Similarly, if I just need something that can take me with a messenger bag and a backpack, I can make do with just a 1200cc V-Twin on a trellis frame, more so when it's more fun turning in that one. Otherwise I'm driving a 2.5L V6 Toyota SUV annoyed as hell that I'm stuck behind some idiot doing 10mph under the limit on a rural highway with my folks on the backseat and my brother up front getting as irritated as me that money's the only thing stopping me from getting a Model X or a Porsche Cayenne.

Is it just ergonomics and power? Neither of these seem like a dealbreaker.

To you they're not.

Plus, what exactly are you using? If you're using a headphone with high sensitivity and low impedance then you don't really need desktop amp. There are pretty cheap low output desktop units in case you don't want to worry about replacing a battery though.

I mean that's like everyone making those graphics showing the space difference taken up by 50 people on bikes vs 50 people in cars...without thinking about what kind of cargo, how far each driver actually goes, what's their itenerary like ie if they have to move around for meetings and can't exactly take showers (unlike being able to do so in the morning if the office has one, then sweat it out rather than waste time going to the gym), they could have health conditions like being 60yo and have to move 10miles+ daily...or there was that time I fell off a bike and no Crumpler can totally not crumple my laptop...

In short, it depends.

Sure, being able to have it on your desktop and having a nice big knob is nice, but a portable one can be run from USB as well and quickly grabbed for use outside, brought to your bedside, doesn't require external power, etc.

Well you want to take them outside or bedside, but does everybody else?

If I'm on the patio I have a BT speaker, that way I can hear if somebody's calling me from inside the house. And besides, why would I want smoke - whether sticky mesquite smoke with steaming fat and juices or tobacco - going on my IEMs, or headphones? I don't even use my laptop outside unless I have to kill time at a coffee shop waiting, because I don't blow $1500 on a laptop that can fight the sun and still have a screen useful for anything other than MSOffice (not to mention have the battery last more than 3hrs).

Doesn't change much on the bed. If I brought an amp, it doesn't matter if it's portable or not, I'll either roll over it or pull it off the bedside table. More trouble than it's worth compared to wearing beater IEMs like KZ ZSTs if I need to get lulled to sleep.

I don't speak for everybody, but you can't either.

I realize that you can get desktop amps for like $100 that are possibly more powerful than portable ones, but it seems like even like $200 desktop options are limited in features compared to comparable (or sometimes cheaper) portable ones, and a lot of desktop options don't even have built in DACs or balanced outputs.

Those are like buying an S2000 or a used RX-7 instead of an SL600 or SL55 with a bigger engine and better creature comfort.

Also...if the amp doesn't need two separate balanced circuits for left and right channels to produce 3watts and not have to give up channel separation and current performance, why overcomplicate the circuit by making it balanced? The 00 Gundam might have the Twin Drive system, but it was smashed to bits and the series ended with the Exia coming back out and using only its huge sword to take on 0 Gundam.

For me in particular, i already have a little Loxjie that i can use with my HD6XX, which is even more reason for me to not pick up ANOTHER desktop amp.

Thoughts?

OK.

You're questioning why desktop amps are even necessary, but not only do you have one, but apparently it boils down to...the idea that you don't think you need another amp but thinking other people would think you need another one?

I'm very confused.

I mean I have two desktop amps, three if you count my dongle size USB soundcard back from when I had a cheap ass H77 motherboard before "Gaming" Motherboards with Creative X-Fi MB (or XonarMB for Asus) was a thing, but that's because my reference amp broke, I got a cheap amp to use, got my amp fixed, decided to keep the cheaper desktop amp despite the relatively brighter sound, less "oomph" at the low end, and noise kicking in sooner on the dial movement range. If my amp didn't break I wouldn't have purchased the other one in 2016, and I got my Meier Cantate.2 back in 2011. Bonus: I was away for 2mos in 2016 and 2019, and the Pangea HP101 was compact enough to carry in my luggage with bubble wrap around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back