Why won't my ATH-CK7 cable work?
Feb 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SawaFish

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT
I brought them to a friend of mine and he immediatly saw that the copper wires had a thin layer around them, thus the green/red colour, which could be easily burned off. After doing that it was a simple soldering job and they work yet again :)
/EDIT

A few weeks ago the plug of my CK7 came between the doors of a lift when they closed and thus the plug and all of the cable up to the Y where the cable splits got ripped off and was lost.

I've decided to breath new live into them by stripping a part of the cable connected to one of the 'phones and joining it with the stripped cable of some cheap iAudio earphones. I discovered both earphones have a copper and a (green or red) strand of wire inside the cable. I've used different combinations but none seem to work...

I'm at a loss here, the iAudio worked fine before I cut that cable and joined it with the CK7. It won't work though. There's the chance that the 'phones themselves got damaged by the force of the lift stretching the cable but I won't believe that since the cable entering the 'phone looks/feels allright.

So if anyone has a stroke of genius and knows the answer, please help me
smile_phones.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 3
Would you mind describing how you tried connecting the two? I'm pretty sure that you'd need a soldering iron and some solder. Hopefully you didn't try manually tying/connecting it.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 3
The colours, IIRC, are veneer. Or lacquer. Anyway, some sort of insulating paint.
You need to make a blob of solder on the iron tip and 'cook' the strands in that blob for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back