Why were the CD1700 discontinued
Dec 14, 2001 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Goober

Head-Fier
They sound like they're really good headphones so why did Sony discontinue them? Judging from what people have said they have a slightly forward midrange with a slightly rolled off treble and decent but not overdone bass. They're also closed and can be powered by a portable. Is all this correct? If so then they sound like the perfect phones for me but they're impossible to find.

Dec 14, 2001 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 5
personally I don't like them that much. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I found them to have a honky-sounding midrange, brittle treble, and weak bass. but that's just me
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 5
I think it's because they're not quite "hifi". Once modded, they sound great out of a PCDP, but they lack detail and have poor tonality in the high and low frequencies (leaving only a great mid) when in a higher end chain. Certain aspects of them are "perfect" and make them enjoyable for certain pieces of music, but in terms of versatility... well...

Dec 14, 2001 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 5
My impressions were very similar to Neruda's. They were definitely "midrange" headphones.

EDIT: by "midrange" I didn't mean their quality
wink.gif
I meant that they emphasized the midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back