Why wear headphones in your house?
Apr 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 68
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but not everyone lives at home!!

I am a college student and I have basically no space and even less money. Headphones allow you to get some really great sounding music while spending less than you would on speakers/amps. Plus, it can all fit in a drawer!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #32 of 68
Don't want to bug anyone else. I don't have room for a proper speaker set up anyways.

Apr 5, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #34 of 68
It's far less expensive to get very high fidelity audio with headphones than it is with speakers. Also, volume becomes an issue at night. Can't have 20hz bass thumping at 2am unless you live by yourself and far enough away from neighbors.

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #37 of 68
It's very simple, really. I can move around without negatively affecting the sound quality. I can change chairs. I can change rooms. I can walk. I can lie down.

Mooch

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #38 of 68
Mainly, the cost. I currently am using a pair of $40 headphones that are about as good as some several-hundred-dollar-speakers I've seen. The more expensive setup I'm getting is on the high-end of headphones and it's not that much more. With an infinite amount of money, you still wouldn't really spend more on a headphone setup than $5000--and that's including home phones, amp and DAC for them, AND a set of good portable cans. Speakers can get far more expensive than that.

Also, speakers (especially expensive, bulky high-end ones) are annoying to move, bother other people, and are tougher to setup for good sound.

Headphones are the easier, cheaper, more chilled-out choice.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by shallbehealed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got an 8 month old son who doesn't appreciate it when I play my music late at night, at least that's what his mom tells me!

That's what my wife tells me about our two year old daughter, and my home office is next door to her bedroom.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #41 of 68
I chose all of the above, but there are more. In no particular order:

1) I'm a college student, so I really don't want to disturb my roommate (or anybody else within earshot) at 2 am because I'm in the mood for some metal. \m/

2) Being a college student, I've already spent more money than I should have on headphones and an amp that sound really amazing, but would have had to spend much more for a stereo setup that would compare. Not to mention that it would be really difficult to move that system out once school's finished!

3) My dad has a really impressive stereo setup at home that he spent many, many years on. It really does sound incredible, almost exactly like you're there in the studio or concert hall with the performers. It never ceases to amaze me. All of the work he had put into speaker placement, acoustic damping, cabling, a special room just for his stereo, etc. just doesn't quite appeal to me. It is a truly wonderful sounding system, however, and I certainly could appreciate owning one just like it someday. Besides, that house got LOUD any time he wanted to enjoy some tunes, and I know exactly what it's like to be on the receiving end of all those unnecessary decibels. It sometimes got a bit difficult to find a quiet place to sleep on Saturday mornings! (goto reason #1)

4) Headphones are accessible and convenient, and I can easily choose different sounds based on my musical mood. They are also portable and don't take up much room, so it's easier to take 'em with me. It's also nice that they don't take up much space, so I can own several sets of cans and enjoy them all!

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #43 of 68
I am not one to believe others need to like what I like nor would I be so presumptuous to believe that they would. I do allow them to sample my musical tastes and, on a rare occasion, they find the music to their liking, we would go from there. Headphones and all required to enjoy the music through them, are just so much easier in so many ways. It is such a personal experience and music often is interpreted by each listener in such different and individual ways that headphones are a natural medium thus allowing one to bask in the experience.

These are a few of my reasons for headphones over speakers. After all, there are so many reasons beyond the quality of source, transport, IC, and headphone...the most important part of listening is always left out and it takes place in between the ears and in a place that lies deep in the recesses of each soul.

Didn't mean to bore you.

Carry on folks.

*peace*

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #44 of 68
When working at home I love headphones as it enables me to redraw in my own private world.
When laying on a couch there's nothing more relaxing than listening to your headphones and letting the vibez take you over.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #45 of 68
IEM's or headphones now mainly to keep the neighbours at bay. Over the years i've had the police visit and two formal complaints to the local council, not to mention the fuming letters i've had through the letterbox.
I used to cut the music at 11pm so I wasn't totally inconsiderate.

The only complaint I truly object to is when my amp was out of action and I was forced to socially entertain using my TV speakers (2x10w RMS?) and they still knocked on my door!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back