Why use STEPS when TREAD is enough?
Sep 10, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 14
enough is a very relative term

Steps includes a filter and has provision for fast switching soft recovery diodes.

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
enough is a very relative term

Steps includes a filter and has provision for fast switching soft recovery diodes.

I tot steps is tread with a transformer by looking at the circuit diagram

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kippei
I tot steps is tread with a transformer by looking at the circuit diagram

They are the same, just the STEPS has a board mounted transformer, mains filtering and room for bigger parts while the TREAD is a small cut down version and you have to arrage your own transformer or power input

Sep 10, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er
They are the same, just the STEPS has a board mounted transformer, mains filtering and room for bigger parts while the TREAD is a small cut down version and you have to arrage your own transformer or power input

Rob.

Sep 13, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 14
STEPS is an entire PSU platform while tread is but one modular part. Also keep in mind that Steps "might" have cleaner output at higher current levels than Tread... not everyone might be using either for only an opamp based headamp.

Sep 13, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 14
k1000smile.gif
I got the idea ... when you mention the last part

Sep 13, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 14
seeing as ur in the uk ud have to crunch numbers solo if one of the uk head fi'ers can't chip in.

Sep 14, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
Can someone tell me the rough total outlay for a STEPS?

Sorry to sound so blunt, but I'm going to have to tell you to work it out for yourself, this is a DIY forum

I don’t know what suppliers are in the UK, but farnell and RS are a start

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 14
you can get everything form digikey for about 60Euros (around £40) without case and shipping!!! If you want to know the differences between both go to www.tangentsoft.net, he´s the creator of both and there you will find all there is to knwo about these PS.

cheers

Manuel

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tess
The one thing you cant get in the UK is the PCB fuse holders

I doubt that, actually. While the Keystone (?) ones I recommend in the parts list may be hard to find, it's actually a very generic design. I'd be stunned if someone else didn't make something substantially identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back