Why U call headphones "cans" ?
Jan 20, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoPhil
because in the early days, the things that went on/over your ears resembled cans of soup. think grados, but deeper.

see, just look at this smiley...
rs1smile.gif
wooden cans on his ears.

woodies2.jpg

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Because people no longer have the attention span required to type out or read "headphone". Or we can just use the Family Guy explanation: It's because you touch yourself at night.

I love that explanation - so often I've used that explanation to my mates for something that I can't be bothered to explain... just like our (occasional) ritual when sitting down to dinner is to hold a fork of food up and say I'm turning you into poo!

Oh yeah... and I can't even bring myself to write "cans" when I mean headphones. But then I'm one of those people that like to attempt to spell everything correctly when typing and even use proper grammer and everything.

(I can only imagine the number of people who are going to quote my posts now and point out all my errors that I've made...)

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
(I can only imagine the number of people who are going to quote my posts now and point out all [edit]the[/edit] errors that I've made...)

Just to fulfill my daily jerkstore quota, this sounds better to me. Why bother stating ownership of the errors twice?

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #22 of 33
"Cans" is a very old nickname for Headphones, dating from the earliest days back in the 1920s. The reason is, as someone pointed out, they looked like "cans" on someone's head. Below is a picture of a vintage set of phones dating from that era.

m1033292.jpg

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaws
Why U call headphones "cans" ?

Me call 'dem can because they cans. Cans are cans me say so I call 'dem cans.

Edit: Crap I didn't notice that he's from egypt and that english isn't his first language. I thought he was a dumb 13 year old that type before they think.

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
"Cans" is a very old nickname for Headphones, dating from the earliest days back in the 1920s. The reason is, as someone pointed out, they looked like "cans" on someone's head. Below is a picture of a vintage set of phones dating from that era.

m1033292.jpg

Thats good to know, I always thought that it was a reference to the old two cans connected by a string game. Where you'd have to hold your end of the can up to your ear in order to hear what the person on the other end was saying.

Jan 21, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #26 of 33
AH a very long time ago two guys took two cans and put a piece of string between them and then went apart a ways and one guy put the can to his ear while the other guy talked or screamed into the other can and this was the beginning of headphone hi fidelity.LOL.

Jan 21, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy

m1033292.jpg

as I said, like Grados...
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
Me call 'dem can because they cans. Cans are cans me say so I call 'dem cans.

Edit: Crap I didn't notice that he's from egypt and that english isn't his first language. I thought he was a dumb 13 year old that type before they think.

good to know

but some people call it cans because other people call them so !

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Why do you write "U" instead of "you"?

AHAHAHA!!! I have to agree with that statement.

Cans are cans. Headphones look like cans. Yay!

But I even call my earbuds "cans", due to the slang term being used a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back