Why tubes will always be vastly superior to solid state at reproducing music...
Mar 28, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #61 of 63
Thanks for the link. This gives a lot more accurate representation of what the harmonics might sound like in a stereo system. I think the second is a lot nicer to my ears than the third in this example. Compare the second and third at 30%... the third sounds totally broken up and unlistenable, while the second still retains some coherency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
They have A LOT of harmonic distortion in those samples. Way more than you are likely to hear on even a crappy stereo.

This page shows the same effects, but at various amplitudes of distortion.

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/nonlinear/index.htm

Edit: I'm curious to read about your comparison between the lux and
71 when it arrives, even though I've heard neither...

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #62 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
Thanks for the link. This gives a lot more accurate representation of what the harmonics might sound like in a stereo system. I think the second is a lot nicer to my ears than the third in this example. Compare the second and third at 30%... the third sounds totally broken up and unlistenable, while the second still retains some coherency.

Most amplifiers produces a whole spectra of harmonic distortion and that includes tube amplifiers, the distinguishing factor for some of them is simply that they produce more second order harmonics, then lower amounts of successive distortion harmonics. The number of amplifiers that show only second order harmonic distortion are few and far between and not necessarily tube-powered.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #63 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
...snip... I think the second is a lot nicer to my ears than the third in this example. Compare the second and third at 30%... the third sounds totally broken up and unlistenable, while the second still retains some coherency.

No doubt, 2nd harmonic distortion is much more pleasing that 3rd.
But again, NO stereo will have 30% harmonic distortion. They will clip like mad and get turned down well before they reach those levels. Most decent amps will have less (usually much less) than 1%. For example, your luxman is rated .4% at full power. My Yamaha is rated .019% at 100Watts. Both below levels that should be audible. A tube amp can get by with a little more distortion since as you note 2nd harmonic is not as objectionable as 3rd. Of course, there is more to a good amp than THD...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back