Why tube?
Feb 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GoodGucciGoo

100+ Head-Fier
Guys I'm pretty novice in the tube amp area. I heard each tube has a different sound character and how the amp sounds really depends on the tube you are using. So why should I pay 500+++ bucks for a tube amp while I can just get a cheap tube amp and change my tube for 20 bucks? And how does tube amp sound different than solid state? Is one better than the other?
FYI I just got my Beyer DT880/600 ohms... That's why I'm thinking about getting an amp myself.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 5
The design of the rest of the components and circuits is at least as important as the type of tube used. Same goes for solid state amplifiers. You could use the best tube or op-amp available but they won't perform well unless the rest of the amplifier is properly designed around it.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 5
The design of the rest of the components and circuits is at least as important as the type of tube used. Same goes for solid state amplifiers. You could use the best tube or op-amp available but they won't perform well unless the rest of the amplifier is properly designed around it.
Do you have any tube amp in mind that could power my 600ohm headphone?

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Do you have any tube amp in mind that could power my 600ohm headphone?

I own DT880s and 990s in 600 ohm versions. I'm using the Schiit Valhalla 2 and the Dark Voice 336SE. But, there are many others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back