Why the Lack of Female Audiophiles?
May 11, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 23
It could be a social norm thing.

However, women are extremely talented and smart.

There are women who are great studio engineers and have golden ears. In the classical music world, female musicians tend to be more common and their musician skills are amazing.

Although rare there are females with amazing audio DIY skills and understand tubes, capacitors, resistors, etc....much better than the average male audiophile.

As a social norm thing, I knew a girl who had the ability to play guitar but she gave up and totally lost interest.

Probably one factor is the lack of support from other females. It’s psychologically easier for guys to get into the guitar world and bond with other guys in the guitar world. Stronger social support for men.

May 16, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 23
Its because to be a real audiophile, you need to be a good listener.

most females like to talk, they don't like to listen.
LOL, I know what you’re doing 😂 But, naw, that doesn’t wash because musicians also need to be good listeners and as another member noted, in the classical world, women are strongly represented.

May 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 23
We know women love music. We know women love great sound.

So why the LACK of women in audio?
Women I know love music, but they have no interest in spending hours, days, weeks twiddling with cables, tubes, power conditioners. They are busy people and have better things to do than to make a tweak change, sit down at the sweet spot, play the ten same songs over and over and go Oooohhh...

May 16, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 23
Women I know love music, but they have no interest in spending hours, days, weeks twiddling with cables, tubes, power conditioners. They are busy people and have better things to do than to make a tweak change, sit down at the sweet spot, play the ten same songs over and over and go Oooohhh...

Well, as you said. The women you know have no interest in what we love.
They have interest regarding what they love.

I dont really have a hyper interest in talking about the gear. My interest in listening to it.
So, maybe if your friends did that, they would understand what they are missing.
You should turn them on.

Also, I'm really busy.
Amazingly so.
But i make time for listening using headphones, as for me this is more than just a hobby.
I read often that someone says that what i do is a "hobby".
This makes me smile.
Maybe it is for them, but ive spent years and multiplied thousands $$$$$$ on this obsession.
Its part of my career, actually.
So, Why change what is working. Why stop what i adore.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 23
Men luv tools, and audiophile hobby is about tools for high fidelity. Same goes for other men hobbies. Just think about what a man cave would typically look like. It's all mechanical/electronic objects.

Batman is the best example of man. lol Just look at all the gadgets and tools he has. Anybody watched home improvement? I think there is also the way men and women are wired in the brain over time to tend to like separate things beyond the social conditioning. We know there are genetic aspects if we study twins. That doesn't mean there arn't women into this hobby like men, but we all see general differences in interests.

And I agree with others, it's not about capability when it comes to high fidelity, but it's about interest, which is part social conditioning and genetic. It's about what kind of person would care about details in presentations, or the subtle differences in how things are presented. One person will say good enough, and another would be OCD about minor things.

But also let's look at the bigger picture. Audiophiles are a niche as well, but mainly men we know. So, even the audiophile population is very minor in comparison to the general public as far as interest is concerned. But, we generally would expect more men to look into the audio area at Bestbuy.

I get a feeling that Nolan's a big 007 fan. "does it come in black?" lol One of the best quote ever.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 23
I would love to meet an audiophile girl, to be honest :wink: I have been using some nerdy chat rooms recently, by the way, and I am pretty sure that it is the best place to meet such people online. What do you think about those? Maybe you can recommend something else to me here, I would like to try othere services as well, thanks in advance for any input :)

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 23
Over here in Asia (especially East and SE) their is a definite growth in the number of females coming into mobile-portable audio (IEMs, earbuds, portable headphones, DAPs, and most especially anything and everything Bluetooth) as clearly seen in increasing sales both from on-line stores and physical audiophile type shops. Asian mobile audio oriented chat boards and forums have also seen a sharp increase in female membership and it is suspected that the female to male ratio may actually be higher than we think due to women's ability to hide their gender in their profiles. However, their participation in meet-ups, shows, and conventions is about the same as it has always been... nil to none.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 23
Over here in Asia (especially East and SE) their is a definite growth in the number of females coming into mobile-portable audio (IEMs, earbuds, portable headphones, DAPs, and most especially anything and everything Bluetooth) as clearly seen in increasing sales both from on-line stores and physical audiophile type shops. Asian mobile audio oriented chat boards and forums have also seen a sharp increase in female membership and it is suspected that the female to male ratio may actually be higher than we think due to women's ability to hide their gender in their profiles. However, their participation in meet-ups, shows, and conventions is about the same as it has always been... nil to none.
In the US, we saw Beats or Bose QC35 frequently with the ladies as far as full-sized, but general populous use the provided in-line mic earphones or airpods.

I was surprised how popular Bose QC35 was with the women, but that maybe changing with the AirPods Max as women tend to steer toward Apple devices. I would assume price would determine it in this case. $550 is a lot compared to how much QC35 goes for.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 23
In general, I don't find our community very inviting to women. It is assumed people are men almost at all times and women are often omitted (or relegated to brackets). If someone is a woman it is often a thing.

Moreover, I think our community can sometimes be a bit intense, debates can get incredibly heated. And some people don't seem to understand the boundaries of a good debate and make things personal. That can make it harder with people with different identities from the norm to feel safe, as your differences are very likely to be used to other you. Women already need to deal with a lot of this crap in society.

I would like us all to do better. We can make Head-fi a great place for everyone into headphones! I know I'll be trying :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back