Why the AKG K702 cost less than K701? Also how it compares to the HD650?
Sep 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #31 of 52
I'd try the 701s against a pair of HD600s. I found the 650s to be too dark for my liking but the HD600s had the perfect balance of detail and musicality. The 701s just sounded wrong and completely unbalanced to my ears.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I can't understand is the portrayal of this mythical "AKG sound" which often translates to sterile and boring. Although it may hold true for the K701, how it epitomizes the entire AKG line is beyond me. I suspect that all they've never heard the K501 or K1000 which are nothing like this supposed "AKG sound".

I never had the chance to hear the mythical K-1000 but the K501 has nothing on it that I would describe as sterile (but my K701 isn´t sterile either *cough*) Another thing on the question: K701 vs. K702

graphCompare.php
graphCompare.php

Check for yourself: Build A Graph - HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & AccessoriesTry the other graphs, they´re all identical. What I find interesting is this: I compared the frequency response of my old K271 with K601, K701 and HD650, result was this:

graphCompare.php
graphCompare.php

Look at the curves of K601 and HD650 - looks pretty close to me. And yet if you try both, they sound completely different.

Anyways, it´s first and foremost a question of personal taste. Not so much of musical taste i think, i really like listening to death metal through K271 and now K701 - no idea why so many people say they´re only usable for classics and Jazz...

k701smile.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tordenskjold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the curves of K601 and HD650 - looks pretty close to me. And yet if you try both, they sound completely different

That's because you're also minimizing the difference and saying they look close enough. That hump at 20-300hz is pretty substantial (~3dB-5dB). You're also not looking at the square wave tests . . . FR isn't the only important measurement when considering an objective ideal.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tordenskjold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never had the chance to hear the mythical K-1000 but the K501 has nothing on it that I would describe as sterile (but my K701 isn´t sterile either *cough*) Another thing on the question: K701 vs. K702

Try the other graphs, they´re all identical. What I find interesting is this: I compared the frequency response of my old K271 with K601, K701 and HD650, result was this:

Look at the curves of K601 and HD650 - looks pretty close to me. And yet if you try both, they sound completely different.

Anyways, it´s first and foremost a question of personal taste. Not so much of musical taste i think, i really like listening to death metal through K271 and now K701 - no idea why so many people say they´re only usable for classics and Jazz...

k701smile.gif

The point of my last post was that I suspect people lump all AKG headphones together and call it the "AKG sound" because they've never heard other AKG headphones besides the K701.

And the reason I brought out K501 and K1000 is because these two are perfect counterexamples of the typified "AKG sound" which translates to boring and sterile.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #37 of 52

Hi! That's interesting community
smily_headphones1.gif
I possess a doubtlessly about travelling.

I make a schengen visa issued quest of multiple opponent
quest of 1 year due to the fact that duty travel.
Can I purchase it to set about on festival in Spain?
Or do I have need of another visa in the service of tourism?

I create contrary opinions on this story, e.g.
travel catalogs thinks that in Spain no obstreperous with you comming here on a company
visa and using it as a tourist... But
employment travel says that according to Visa rules and regulations, you cannot visit in a country for touring exactly on function visa.

What do you muse over about this?

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #42 of 52
I know this is a bit of an other thread, but I have to say that I was rather surprised by the poll results. I always though the K701 was more widely hated then liked, and the HD650 was more widely liked then hated. This poll seems to indicated its a 50/50 split. I guess in the end you either prefer one or the other. Both are great headphones

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is a bit of an other thread, but I have to say that I was rather surprised by the poll results. I always though the K701 was more widely hated then liked, and the HD650 was more widely liked then hated. This poll seems to indicated its a 50/50 split. I guess in the end you either prefer one or the other. Both are great headphones

I totally agree, when amped and burned in, these are both awesome cans. The rest is up to preference or mood.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #44 of 52
On a side note, so out of the k701s and k702s, what really is the diff? I'm kinda interested in getting a pair, but I'm really worried about being able to drive it and I wouldn't want to spend too much on a dedicated amp since I already have a D10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back