Why so many "feel-good" threads?
Apr 15, 2006 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently I see a trend of people starting threads for the sole purpose of makin themselves feel better about their audio purchase. These threads are quite obvious just by reading the title.

Some of the examples I can think of are (random examples, nothing personal):
"Tell me a reason not own headphone A" (headphone A fans will jump out to defend its reputation, OP probably plans to buy heapdhone A or just did)
"Who prefers headphone B over headphone C?" (the OP wanting to buy headphone B but also considering headphone C)
"Poll: headphone D vs headphone E for this type of music" (the OP wants to follow the popular consensus to convince himself about his choice)
"Headphone F good fo rthe money?"
"Why does not everyone own XYZ?" (the OP wants to solicit some moral support for his owning of XYZ)
"Poll: Do you think component XYZ has such and such weakness?" (the OP senses a weakness in the XYZ but want to be convinced otherwise)
"OMG, component XYZ just arrived at my door steps" (the OP wants to be congratulated for the newest purchase)

I personally don't find these kinds of threads particularly informative. I think people should try to trust their ears and judgement. After all, it is music and our own ears that actually make us feel good, not anyone else's approval of our audio equipment. But I seem to observe these "make-me-feel-good" threads on the rise, overshadowing some serious and informative discussions. Why? Is there something amiss?

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 21
Only one of the many things I complain about often regarding this forum and this community.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 21
With the amount of money spent on some of the rigs, people are bound to ask this type of questions... to help them justify their purchases I guess. I also believe there is an element of wanting to show off and make one feel more adequate. My opinions blunt? Yes, but there are elements of truth in them, IMO.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 21
Is there something wrong with feeling good via social consensus? You're right of course, people should trust their own ears, etc. But asking *before* you buy a headphone at least adds some information into the mix.

Now, I think I'll go start a thread griping about gripe threads.
tongue.gif
Really though, "is there something amiss?" is a reasonable question to shoot at the OP in particular. If you don't like these threads, don't read/participate.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 21
I think it's more a case of people wanting to strike up a conversation, and get some little rassurance that they aren't totally going the wrong way. You have to remember that most people will not get the chance to audition the phones they are looking to buy so any help they can get is useful, at least psychologically, to them.

Apr 15, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 21
I understand the psychological need that people have, in order to justify spending thousands of dollars on audio equipment. I did not start the thread to complain about the phenomena. Rather, I think we should offer more healthy advices and alternatives.

I believe one can read about gears and end up getting very good stuff. But to find the "right" stuff for one's own ear and taste truly requires sampling a lot of gears to understand their respective beauty and differences. Thank goodness it is easy to lug headphone gears around demo them. Head-fi meets are invaluable resources for exploring the landscape of hi-fi. Top headphones all have idiosyncratic beauties, and how can one know one wants one kind of beauty over another kind before experiencing first hand. Top heapdhones with little character are actually less preferred, based on my observation.

If jazz sounds more exciting to me on DT880 than PS-1, no amount of landslide polls lauding PS-1 is going to convince me otherwise. I can't enjoy jazz on any Grado no matter how many times I read people praising them as great jazz cans. On the other hand, I never knew what Rock 'n Roll should sound like and never cared until I heard hi-end Grados myself at the meet. All my reading just lead me to believe Grados are for tin-ears. It turns out I actully prefer to drive fast and relatively harsh Grado (SR225) with an amp that is fast but relatively harsh for my personal enjoyment.

The key to getting the right sound out of my system is, for me, to know what works for me and what doesn't, for different types of music. I turns out I like rather different sound signatures for different types of music, which does not apply to many folks. Without attending head-fi meets, it would probably take me ten more years and three times more money for me to discover my true preference. When I read differing opinions on head-fi, they seemed confusing. When I meet the people uttering differing opinions at the meet, it is no longer confusing. All it takes is one look to see that each and everyone of them is indeed a different person. Diffrent personal characters look for different sonic characters--it is only natural.

Apr 15, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 21
This is a community isn't it? Well then we should be happy for our felow brothers and sisters of the headphoneus cloth. I feel joy when they do, I provide a shoulder for them to cry on when feeling the pains of the depths of headphone hell. Isn't that what it's all about??
biggrin.gif

Slade

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 21
Of the seven examples you list, it seems to me that the first six have more to do with acquiring information than feeling good about a purchase.

The seventh (the self-congratulatory "look what came in the mail!" thread) can become tiresome I agree. But what the heck, I'm getting excited about an in-bound piece of equipment (see sig) and I am sure I'll consider posting pics upon its arrival. I mean, after all, this is a headphone site for goodness sake. Most people around these parts enjoy lusting after beautiful gear!

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
The key to getting the right sound out of my system is, for me, to know what works for me and what doesn't, for different types of music.

It can take people some time to get to this insight. I know when I first arrived here, I thought the most pertinent question was, "What's the best headphone?" I see this question popping up regularly and now chuckle to myself as I have seen the error of my ways.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 21
bahamaman: Very much seconded.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Personally, I'm much more unnerved by 150 threads whining over used Grado HF-1 prices, the 5457th thread on "what's the purpose of a headphone amp?", by never ending debates on whether cables make a difference or not et cetera...

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 21
I would rather see most of the threads you mentioned rather than these:

1) "So I just ordered X amp or Y headphone"

IMO, wait until you get it and can be helpful and tell everyone how it sounds to you or make the thread before you purchase and ask for opinions. What does it gain by mentioning that you ordered something that will not arrive for a week? You get people saying "Oh you are going to love it" or "You should have bought something else"

2) "Look what I just got, but I can't tell you what it sounds like, because I am still burning it in"

Again, wait until it is burned in before you post a thread, so that it is more helpful.

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
1) "So I just ordered X amp or Y headphone"

IMO, wait until you get it and can be helpful and tell everyone how it sounds to you or make the thread before you purchase and ask for opinions. What does it gain by mentioning that you ordered something that will not arrive for a week? You get people saying "Oh you are going to love it" or "You should have bought something else"

Holy déjà-vu, Batman. I just did that 2 days ago myself.
tongue.gif

But I agree with previous statements. This is a headphone site and community.

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 21
Without meaning to be a smart-*****, I'd like to ask the OP question almost recursively. Why there have been recently so many threads on "why so many threads on topic X or Y"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back