why should i buy a more expensive iem (are totl worth it)
May 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
hi i have the etymotic er2xr (had the ex4xr but sold it as too analytic for me) and the fiio fa7, i used to have the shure se215 (too bassy), the rha t20 (cold and bassy) and shure se535 (had problems with fit and they fell apart after some years).

What i wonder is what would spending more money buy me in terms of SQ if anything?

d

May 22, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey. IMO, the best advice you should heed is to try the more expensive iems. No one but you knows what it is you want out of music. Maybe a $30 pair of iems are perfect for you and its possible a more capable and more expensive iems sound the same. If you have some sort of ear then you'll hear what higher priced iems are capable of and for that, i am sorry as you'll probably get caught in the rabbits hole.

Good luck.

May 22, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 8
hi i have the etymotic er2xr (had the ex4xr but sold it as too analytic for me) and the fiio fa7, i used to have the shure se215 (too bassy), the rha t20 (cold and bassy) and shure se535 (had problems with fit and they fell apart after some years).

What i wonder is what would spending more money buy me in terms of SQ if anything?

d

buying TOTL is like upgrading from 480p to 4k resolution, worht a try :)

from my experience, shures, fiios, and RHAs are low-mid tier (generally low detail and dull signatures), etymotics are mid tier (good detail, poor upper and lower extension, flat staging), TOTLs like IER Z1R, LEgend X, 64 audio u12T, etc will make ur ER2Xrs look like an old computer monitor

as always, especially with TOTLs, if u no like, u can sell for minimal loss

good luck frend

May 23, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 8
OK i take the point but:

1. which totl (or nearly) iems are vocal centric without too much bass and definitely not too much treble as i am treble sensitive
2. ideally i would like to buy and return if i cannot get a good fit (i find etymotics have the best fit for me, i did try custom tips for the se535 but was disappointed with the results)

d

May 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 8
The Noble K10 from Drop is a good one for the price.

May 27, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 8
OK i take the point but:

1. which totl (or nearly) iems are vocal centric without too much bass and definitely not too much treble as i am treble sensitive
2. ideally i would like to buy and return if i cannot get a good fit (i find etymotics have the best fit for me, i did try custom tips for the se535 but was disappointed with the results)

d

vocal centric totl?

the Vision Ears VE8 r probably the best for endgame vocals and mids (pls check reviews to see if they would fit your preferences), without overpowering bass and treble

very highly regarded IEM, resale should not be too bad of issue if u don't fall in love

best of luck frend :)

May 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Sony IER M7, if you can hold more trebles, get M9 (extra 1 more driver as super tweeter than M7) M7 is more trebles safe and its a monitoring with forwarded mids. However the M9 have slightly better imaging and treble extensions of course. Both have upper north bass but not too overwhelming (mild boost - just nice for me) with no mid bass bleed. Just take a look for their reviews

If you love ety signature, you can try Moondrop S8 too. For me, i cant stand 3khz pinna gain so id like to have 3khz dip on my IEM (pinna gain on 2khz and then drop dip on 3khz and up again on 4khz. Wonder why Top TOTLs also majority have 3khz reduced)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back