Why Sansa?
Jun 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #16 of 26
Things seem to go a bit more wacky with the Shure SE530 though...

Still, pretty flat though. I think the difference between this and the last one shows why dfkt does use the Vibe as his go-to test IEM...

Sorry if this is taking the thread a bit off topic, I think these graphs are pretty interesting, normal service will not resume...

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 26
Things get even more funny with triple.fi 10 Pros as a load (though the sf5Pros are just about equally fussy), as you can see here. For grins, here's what happens on the poor old A845:

Oh, and on the topic of "Why Sansa", I'm using a Clip+ since it's a pretty nice little player with low output impedance that'll run Rockbox.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #19 of 26
eek.gif
  looks like a work of art.   How is he measuring all this stuff?  I'd like to know.
L3000.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 26
Easy, all you need is a 44/16 RMAA test file and a Y cable to connect both test load and soundcard input at the same time. And yes, this is best done with a spare set of IEMs depending on levels. Apparently they can take quite a beating but you just never know.

Amazing what 40-something ohms in series will do, huh?

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #21 of 26
It's 8 ohms output I take it.  Well the above FR is taken at the headphone load not the whole series so I don't understand what you mean by that statement.  

Well, lower output impedance is desired, and what I'm thinking is when there is high enough output impedance, there will be considerable powerloss at certain frequencies from the source impedance to lower power transfer to the transducer if there is significan't amount of output impedance compared to load impedance, since voltage is being shared and a good chunk is dropped through the source load since it's considerable compared to load impedance.  

What do you think would happen to the FR if 300ohm is at the load, 8 ohm vs 300ohm is a big difference?  At that point would it be like an ideal situation of output impedance being considerably smaller than load impedance.   So I would think the FR would not deviate too much then again the transducer is not getting enough power from the source.  It will not sound good, but FR will be more stable?

I would like to see all this to get a better idea of how it works.  I think I will have to find out.
Quote:
Easy, all you need is a 44/16 RMAA test file and a Y cable to connect both test load and soundcard input at the same time. And yes, this is best done with a spare set of IEMs depending on levels. Apparently they can take quite a beating but you just never know.

Amazing what 40-something ohms in series will do, huh?

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 26
What I don't understand about output impedance is that, close to no output impedance is desired, yet you can convert ER4P to 4S, with a 75 ohm adaptor.  That resistor is in series and only adds to the output impedance of the source.  So why would you add to the output impedance?  

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 26
Kinda funny, before i even came here i bought Sansa because it was the budget player, not overpriced fashion and i come to find they actually are good performing players
happy_face1.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 26

That's the million dollar question!  lol.  Personally I think you just use graphs to get a fairly good idea of what you're going to expect in the frequency ranges.  Once you add headphones to the mix all bets are off.  I own a clip + and frankly the only headphone that sounds good paired with it is the meelec ht21.  Compared to any of my sony players the clip sounds very hollow and lifeless.  That's will all eq engaged.  On flat response, I much prefer my nano 6g.  But again, the only way you can ever tell is to just buy it and see if it fits your tastes. 
Quote:
Graphs? I used my ears. How the hell do you tell how it sounds from graphs? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back