why preamp?
Jun 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #47 of 52

What is the general theory when you have many volume controls? 
Are you running the weakest ones full blast to eliminate them from the chain?
Do you always just use only the best pot?

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #49 of 52
Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm wondering about inserting a Little Dot MKIVse to be used as a preamp only between my LD DAC_I and MKVII+ headphone amp - specifically, would this add a more tube-like quality to the sound through my LCD-2's? Also, would there be any problems with this approach?

EDIT: just realized that the MKIVse does not have balanced preamp outputs. Is there a (reasonably priced) balanced preamp that would work instead?

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #50 of 52

Quote:
yeah,,but even thogh the power amp don't have a volume control,it is still amping.
so like xxbaker said...it is technically amping twice.    but there is no other choice.

so headphones systems are the only systems that you don't have to amp twice? (considering that you use power amp for speakers).  and is a reciecer is a power amp also?

my third (and probably last) question regarding this is:  the dac output..is it also can count as some sort of amping?  so in this case double amping cannot be avoided anyway.

Even integrated amps got a preamp section, either passive or active.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #51 of 52
Take a look at my situation:
1) speaker rig:
SPEAKERS: ACI Titan XL subwoofer+ACI Emerald speakers
amp: RWA Signature 30 (partial upgraded to30.2) amp
dac: Stello DA220 Mk II
source: Squeezebox Classic
2) headphone rig:
headphone: Grado GS1000i
amp: Meier audio Swing
dac: Stello DA220 Mk II
source: Squeezebox Classic

(I am just trying to understand preamp :) ) It seems my speaker amp has volume knob and it's a power amp so I believe it is best to go for some speaker monoblock power amps (without volume knob) OR a speaker power amp then to go for a preamp like a Red Wine Audio Isabella (http://redwineaudio.com/components/isabella)? I would like to upgrade my system to achieve best result with a budget of 2000 euro (2,614.47 USD). 

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #52 of 52
I am not looking for a preamp or monoblocks anymore. It would be better to upgrade my speakers and/or I would like to re-acquire an AKG K 1000 so my Signature 30.2 can still be of good use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back