Why plastic?
Oct 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please tell me how you can get by in life without plastic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah -- who could get by without their credit card these days?
eek.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 29
Sometimes I wish I had plastic ultrasones instead of my metal Denon's.
Plastic won't dent if I drop them.

Had my iphone been made out of durable plastic, there wouldn't be an ugly dent on the corner.

I don't like cheap plastic though. ABS is a cheap plastic IMO.

It would be neat to see headphone bands made out of composites like G-10. It's relativly inexpensive, very durable, and light. Much cheaper than carbonfiber.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see few downsides with using plastic in headphones.
Its light weight, durable, easy to mold and cheap to produce.

x2. in addition, i would rather the companies spend their money on the value added parts, like drivers. why would i want to drive the price of my headphones up to get a material that is more expensive and more limiting from a design/manufacturing point of view?

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do companies choose to make the head/arch band(on headphones) out of plastic?
I am just going to say my opinion on plastic stright out, it sucks and its by far the worst man made material. Was there ever a time when headphones were of a superior quality?

Thanks

Can someone please move this to the headphone forums. Thanks and sorry.

You appear to be a perfect candidate for a pair of those all metal B&O ear clip phone to go with you all metal amp and iPod?

High impact and impact resistant plastic is the future material:-0

Don't get me wrong I love natural woods and fine metals but they are going by way of the Dodo in a lot of industry today.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 29
I would like to first say thanks for the many responses!
cool.gif

About the whole plastic sucks part...don't take it to seriously. The same exact night I was writing that post, it was also the night when I got fed up repairing my headphones. I also discovered that they may be made out of ABS plastic. It would be cool if we keep discussing on all the new materials a headphone can be made out off.
icon10.gif

Ones again thanks for the posts!
3000smile.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #21 of 29
For toughness, can't beat that %^$*!@!! stuff that is shrunk-wrapped on some small items being sold -- when you try to actually get your item OUT of the *&%*&%$!! shrink-wrap plastic, it's virtually indestructible!
*&(&^$!!!!! stuff....

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a chemical engineer and I beg to differ. Plastics is lightweight, strong, easy to manufacture and CHEAP. It's the perfect material for making headbands out of. Metals are strong and cheap but heavy, composites like carbon fiber are strong and light but expensive. Honestly, plastics is the best thing to have happened to materials engineers since wood.

Strong and CHEAP are the key words here...the only way the strength or weight could be improved is with composite materials which are expensive...how many of you would honestly pay more than 500 for 650s or 701s. Also, like someone mentioned, the plastic they choose for the headband is pretty strong as it is and won't deform like certain types of metal or crack like in the case of wood. Really, without plastic HPs wouldn't even be close to the price point that they are today.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GAD wrote:

All Cretans are liars !
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Only when in Crete
icon10.gif
Too funny!

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 29
Canon was the first to make high-quality lens mounts of plastic. People complained and complained, but the reason they did it were many. Plastic casts more accurately than metal machines, in the thin sections used in lenses; it's self-lubricating when the lube dries out (metal hurts itself), lighter, wears better, and you can make it thicker with less weight, so it dents less easily. It's friendlier in the hand (warm), and costs less to manufacture. And you can make types of plastic to do anything you want them to do.

When you think graphite or carbon fiber, too, think plastic, because that's what's holding all that fiber together. Without it, you'd be in nightmare land--carbon fiber, alone, is really dangerous and unpleasant stuff.

Plastic can be bullet-proof, it can be unbreakable. Safetyglasses made of plastic just break, they don't shatter like hardened glass. There are lots of nice things about plastic.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you think graphite or carbon fiber, too, think plastic, because that's what's holding all that fiber together. Without it, you'd be in nightmare land--carbon fiber, alone, is really dangerous and unpleasant stuff.

Now imagine building an airliner out of the stuff such as the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. There are major airframe components made in carbon fiber.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 29
I think working with anything with small airborne fibres must be bad. I'm sure there was some link between particle size and cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back