Why pick on cables ?
Aug 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 403
Here's another story. Some years ago my brother bought this new system and asked me to take a listen. The sales guy sold him some cable at $300 a meter. I took a listen and found something is not right. One channel is dead. Since this a new set up, I check the whole system out. As it turned out it was one of the cable.

He took it back to the store. The sales guy said the cable is directional and all he got to do is plug it in the right way. I checked it out with a multi-meter and found the cable has no connectivity. After the exchange, I did an ABX with my brother. Not surprising, he can't tell the difference. This time, the guy goes the cable needs a burn-in. Any way, my brother never did return the cable. I think he was intimidated by all this pseudo-science talk.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 403
Personally, I think people are put off more by cable marketing's pseud-science, outrageous pricing and the push to get consumer to pay more on their cable. I remember one time when I am at a store. The salesman continued to sell me this piece of cable and insisted I should put 10% of my money in cable. He got really mad when I told him I can't hear the difference.

This applied to not just interconnect., but also to power cable, USB cable, fuse. It's a wonder that we're not seeing audiophile SATA cable, drives, memory or reflow service to resolder your equipment with silver based solder.

You guys have been missing out on audiophile SATA cables!!!!!!!
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2012/03/26/wiredream-silver-sata/1

I couldn't quickly find a link on where to purchase those, unfortunately.

I could've sworn I saw posts on head-fi suggesting putting music on SSDs because of some kind of spinning of mechanical drives messing up the audio.  That said, solid-state storage does have lower acoustic noise during operation, if you don't have a NAS elsewhere or quiet drives far enough away...

Quote:

Now that is funny!
biggrin.gif

And what a great sales tactic!
I'm sure he sold a lot of cable by getting mad at people!
Maybe McDonalds should go crazy on people if the DON'T Supersize their Fries or Shakes.

BTW, It's been a while since I was in McDonalds so I don't know if they still Supersize, Spurlock may have beaten that out of them.

You think they still call it "Supersize" after all the stigma these days?  Now that would be great marketing.

Actually, fast food these days is significantly better than it was 10+ years ago (not that it's such an accomplishment, but still)... some improved refreshes of old options, many more items including different food types, some menu options that taste far better than cardboard yet won't kill you if you eat them regularly.  It's not exactly great or anything to look forward to, but still, who would've thunk?

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 403
My brother has a McIntosh system he bought back in the late 70s. He's moving and decided to get new speakers. He started looking for speaker cable on the internet Googling "McIntosh speaker wire" and got sucked into a bunch of crazy reviews that said he needed to spend thousands of dollars. Then he read this one by a guy who was an electrical engineer for McIntosh...

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Now he knows what to use and what not to use. He didn't even have to ask me. Honestly, I don't know why people keep thinking high end cables are controversial. They aren't. Everyone with a head on their shoulders who bothers to look it up gets the right answer.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 403
Honestly I never would/will buy any *high grade* audiophile cable.

all my phones use the cable came with the purchase, even the ones I have can replace the cable, I won't replace them until they break.
heck! even the extension cable I use for recording/tracking purpose, I use generic $10 one.

THE most expensive cable I will buy are Mogami mic cables, only because they are durable and sound good enough.

in analog world, even the tiniest component matters, I get it. 
but $500 for a pair of headphone cables? come on.

I still think most of the high end audiophile products are scam. (not all but most of them)

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 403
I think that it is wise and generous and prudent and magnanimous and erudite of me to share this knowledge with you. I could go on, but I can't seem to locate my thesaurus.

Before you move into a neighbourhood, call up the local utility and ask them if that neighbourhood is wired with copper or aluminum cable.
I have found that when I have lived in a neighbourhood wired with aluminum cable, my stereo always sounded a bit lean and bright. The system had better synergy when I used aluminum interconnects and speaker wire and power cables.
If you prefer a warmer sound, move to a neighbourhood wired with copper cable.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 403
I had all the wires between my house and Hoover Dam replaced with solid gold!

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 403
And how did that sound?
Warmer?  darker? fuller? more organic?

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 403
RICHER!

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #25 of 403
Aug 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #26 of 403
Quote:

...This applied to not just interconnect., but also to power cable, USB cable, fuse. It's a wonder that we're not seeing audiophile SATA cable, drives, memory or reflow service to resolder your equipment with silver based solder.

You are giving new business ideas! Thank God finally someone thought of a way to further "improve" the sound quality!

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #27 of 403
there are companies that replace the lead-free solder balls, tin plating on digital chips with proven reliability lead containing alloy for space, military, medical, telcom uses which have exemptions from RoHS

maybe you can get them some Cardas solder

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #29 of 403
I rub my CD player with bacon grease to give it smoothness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back