why pair up a dac sound card with external dac?
Aug 7, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 15
better sound is the reasoning (because of the better external dac)

Aug 7, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 15
There isn't much space on a soundcard for a dac, so they can only get so good. So people take the pure digital out of the soundcard into an external dac which not only has more space but also it's own powersupply, which I understand should be a benifit to the sound quality too.

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 15
I think what the OP is asking is, why have the expensive soundcard if you also have an external DAC?

I assume the typical answer would be, "because I had the card already, and upgraded to the DAC."

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 15
"I have the sound card now, and plan to add an external DAC."
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
If you think of USB to DAC, the sound-card can be deleted, and an external DAC can be installed as a sound-card.
The benefit of using an external device for sound, is that you will not be bothered with electric noise introduced into the analog output.
The digital part is not susceptible to that kind of noise, so moving the analog circuits outside from the computer cleans the sound-output considerably.
If you want to use SPDI/F (Coax, Optical,Whatever), you need a card to output this, something very few main-boards do. So you will need an additional card to do this, but you do not need a very sophisticated sound-card. Any card with your desired output goes (as long as your software can handle this!)!

So an external DAC via USB such as what Headroom is offering will eliminate the hiss that I hear through my laptops jack? Figured the sound was going to be improved but having no background noise was a pipe dream.

If I can get the noise problem solved, I'm going to be re-tempted about setting up a computer rig!!

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 15
okey, all those replies realy improved my understanding...so why doesn't eveyrone just go for an a710 and then an external DAC? its not like your going to use the analog out on the other sound cards...

Am I correct? seems to me having a 1212 and an external dac would be a waste of money....thanks

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
This is dependant of your phones and your amping circuitry!
Low impedance/high sensivity phones often picks up hiss from amps, hiss produced by opamps or other amplification-circuitry within the amp itself.
The DAC is usually not producing hiss (have not heard any yet).
So if you use sensitive earphones, pick an amp with a quiet background.
HeadRoom-amps have some background-hiss, at least the ones I have listened to, Ray Samuels SR-71 and SuperMacro w/OPA627 have none.

Ah, that's what I suspected. Really, I'll be using any and all my headphones from the computer. Primarily will go with either the Shures or UE's but won't rule out the Grados or Senns either.

Right now, if I could get a mid-range dac like the Benchmark to give me decent sound and no background noise, I'd do it in a heartbeat! Well, I'd want the silver model but that's another story. I'm betting that setup wouldn't give me zero hiss and that bugs the heck out of me. As for amps, I wonder how the AE-1 would do? The SM and SR-71/Hornet are out for me.

Aug 8, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 15
i was asking exactly the samething that you did the other day. it is almost mentioned that some people think Usb have more jitter than than the sound card digital out.

as for noises, i dont know how much negativity it effect the sound even if i cant hear it, but i never had that kind of problem. it varies between equipment. i used a grado ra-1 before that generated alot of harddrive and cdrom noises, it was the most sensitive amp i ever heard. but if i use an impedance converter it take it away.

Aug 8, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i was asking exactly the samething that you did the other day. it is almost mentioned that some people think Usb have more jitter than than the sound card digital out.

as for noises, i dont know how much negativity it effect the sound even if i cant hear it, but i never had that kind of problem. it varies between equipment. i used a grado ra-1 before that generated alot of harddrive and cdrom noises, it was the most sensitive amp i ever heard. but if i use an impedance converter it take it away.

Now I'm confused. Thought going through USB was supposed to eliminate the jitter? Guess I misunderstood or misread.

Maybe the best bet is an inexpensive dac like the headroom offering and a portable amp like the AE-1. Guess this is why the computer rig hasn't gotten more attention from me. Just too darned complicated and seemingly no consensus. If this were my primary rig, I'd experiment but since it's just a work rig or something to occupy me when I'm surfing, I guess I'm less than willing to take a chance. It's only $1K or so but still, that would go a good way toward a new source. Guess the research continues!

Aug 8, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Now I'm confused. Thought going through USB was supposed to eliminate the jitter? Guess I misunderstood or misread.

AFAIK, you are actually correct. I believe that USB connections do not suffer potential jitter problems. However I believe they are usually limited (based on drivers) to 16 bit output.

High end DACs will even reclock the incoming data stream to bettter prevent jitter (from all inputs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back