Why Oxygen-free copper cables sound no different than ETP copper
Feb 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same to you considering you compare differences in amps (differences in circuit, caps, soldering, pots, etc etc ) and sources (Especially when it comes to turntables and phono-stages), to differences in shielded copper/silver.

Your statement is based on what experience? The assumption that cables make no difference right? You know what they say when you make assumptions...

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you dont use your ears to make the descision, we all know that people can hear the difference between tubes and amps and sources but if its a cable then it must be Placebo.
rolleyes.gif
Dont you get sick of people who have no experience telling you what you can and cannot hear? Its sooooooo obnoxious and childish.

Quote:

Same to you considering you compare differences in amps (differences in circuit, caps, soldering, pots, etc etc ) and sources (Especially when it comes to turntables and phono-stages), to differences in shielded copper/silver.

Its been my experience that cables have made a similar impact on the sound of my system as changing tubes does. You? There was nothing subtle about it.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

The assumption that cables make no difference right? You know what they say when you make assumptions...

I know what you say, and I also know that you have not read my prior posts in this thread...

Quote:

Its been my experience that cables have made a similar impact on the sound of my system as changing tubes does. You? There was nothing subtle about it.

It has been my experience that my vision is without gaps. However, if it set up the right conditions, I can see the effects of the blind spot caused by the retina in my eye.
Perception plays a large role my good sir. Just because your brain says "I hear this" does not mean you should take it literally, or with out salt.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Cables do make a difference. If not in the type of copper then in other areas that can effect SQ. However, as has been said many times before, there comes a point were returns diminish to the extreme.

Quote:

Same to you considering you compare differences in amps and sources to differences in shielded copper/silver.

What am I missing? Are you saying cables make a smaller impact on sound than audio components?

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

What am I missing? Are you saying cables make a smaller impact on sound than audio components?

I cannot attest to if you are missing something or not...

But I can say that both of my comments are not mutually exclusive.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

I cannot attest to if you are missing something or not...

But I can say that both of my comments are not mutually exclusive.

So your saying that your one of those obnoxious people who thinks an amp can be heard and that cables may be placebo? I would recommend you go buy some audio equipment and see if your opinions are true or not. Me? I know what I hear and dont hear. I suppose the cables I bought and did not like were placebo as well?

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

I suppose the cables I bought and did not like were placebo as well?

I would have to consult a Psychologist, Neurologist, Physicist, Chemist, Audiologist, and a Sociologist before I could accurately comment.

However, it does not look like you read my comment about perception and the example of the blind spot.

Btw: From your comments I can conclude that you think a different cables and different amplifiers have the same amount of variation in sound, am I right in conjecturing such an assumption? Because I reason that a amplifier using a different circuit or different technology (Tubes or Trans) has a lot more room for effecting the signal's electrons vs an interconnect cable.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #23 of 64
I doubt very much if older tube amps have any OFC in them. Maybe it's time to come full circle and muddy up our electron flow a bit. after all super high impedence cans are really popular in super high end systems.
I made an LOD from silver wire and felt it very Bright but when I made the same interconnect with regular old dirty telephone wire the warmth really came out.
Anyone seen the inside of a Grado RA-1? It's a messy soldering nightmare.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

I would have to consult a Psychologist, Neurologist, Physicist, Chemist, Audiologist, and a Sociologist before I could accurately comment.

However, it does not look like you read my comment about perception and the example of the blind spot.

Btw: From your comments I can conclude that you think a different cables and different amplifiers have the same amount of variation in sound, am I right in conjecturing such an assumption? Because I reason that a amplifier using a different circuit or different technology (Tubes or Trans) has a lot more room for effecting the signal's electrons vs an interconnect cable.

Yes they can.

Quote:

reason that a amplifier using a different circuit or different technology (Tubes or Trans) has a lot more room for effecting the signal's electrons vs an interconnect cable

Sometimes they dont. Think maybe your statement has a bit too much latitude?

I'm telling you, point blank, and according to your writings, they can make a difference equal to or greater than a change in equipment. That is why this cable debate goes on forever because there is never a shortage of people who cannot understand this. Another thing that perpetuates this is everyone's unwillingness to spend 300 bucks on a cable, therefore they end up trying a bunch of different 50 dollar cables and never realize what we (cable believers) are trying to clue you in on. I understand if your system is 300 dollars all together that a 300 dollar IC may not be the best expenditure for you but that does not reduce or negate the fact that cables have a major impact on sound quality (In general terms) and that when someone says (Brand X has a really nice cable and it made my system sound warmer and gave me more bass impact and it also made the vocals more forward and clear) that he is experiencing Placebo. You understand?

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

I'm telling you, point blank, and according to your writings, they can make a difference equal to or greater than a change in equipment. That is why this cable debate goes on forever because there is never a shortage of people who cannot understand this.

No, I must correct you there: the debate goes on because people decrying high priced cables are of the opinion that your claim, "they can make a difference equal to or greater than a change in equipment", should not be treated as fact, but opinion, and that you should realize such things.

Your perception of an event does not make it fact. If such an attitude was taken then UFOs have been abducting people for years and god really speaks to people.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

No, I must correct you there: the debate goes on because people decrying high priced cables are of the opinion that your claim, "they can make a difference equal to or greater than a change in equipment", should not be treated as fact, but opinion, and that you should realize such things.

Your perception of an event does not make it fact. If such an attitude was taken then UFOs have been abducting people for years and god really speaks to people.

Tell us more about what your ears have heard and why your opinion should be valued more than mine. Try reading the last comment in my Signature, I think that says it all.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

If such an attitude was taken then UFOs have been abducting people for years and god really speaks to people.

There's a country with 300 million people that's framework is based on the idea that its citizens should be able to think freely and believe things which haven't been proven by the scientific method yet.

Scary, isn't it? Also, perhaps our perception of the scientific method and tests carried out by its principles is flawed, we just don't know it.
rolleyes.gif

You can carry the skepticism as far as you think you can't throw it if you really demand that level of uncertainty in your life.
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Tell us more about what your ears have heard and why your opinion should be valued more than mine. Try reading the last comment in my Signature, I think that says it all.

Once more, I claim that you put too much faith in your ears. I think our positions are quite clarified now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a country with 300 million people that's framework is based on the idea that its citizens should be able to think freely and believe things which haven't been proven by the scientific method yet.

I think that framework includes my right to disagree with others as I see fit, and claim their expenditures on high prices cables are probably not wise, as well : P

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Once more, I claim that you put too much faith in your ears. I think our positions are quite clarified now.

I think that framework includes my right to disagree with others as I see fit, and claim their expenditures on high prices cables are probably not wise, as well : P

I think you put too much faith in skepticism.
biggrin.gif

Also, why wouldn't you trust your ears? Isn't this hobby about what you hear?

If not, I've been doing it wrong this entire time and need to go straight from frequency response graphs and equipment specs.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you put too much faith in skepticism.
biggrin.gif

Also, why wouldn't you trust your ears? Isn't this hobby about what you hear?

If not, I've been doing it wrong this entire time and need to go straight from frequency response graphs and equipment specs.
rolleyes.gif

My intelligence and experience forbids me from allowing your inexperience to influence my opinion. Right on Taikero!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back