Why OLED display?
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I have noticed that many recently audio components have OLED displays.  For example, Auralic Vega DAC, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDSE (but not the DAC2 DSD), TEAC UD-501 DAC, Primare's new integrated amps, all have OLED displays.  
Wondering why OLED.  It looks nicer, but I imagine there are actual technical advantages as well, right?  
And what about lifespan of OLED?  They used to be pretty short compared to LCD displays and LED lights; should they be left on 24/7 for components that are usually left on 24/7 for optimal performance like DACs?  I am worried that my TEAC UD-501's display will go out before the DAC reaches its useful lifespan. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi-end audio equipment requires hi-end technology in order to justify their final customer price. IMHO You shouldn't worry about screen lifespan. I highly doubt the screen will be the first thing to give you troubles in the future.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 3
There are certain advantages. Theoretically battery life should be improved, since OLED doesn't require a backlight. Contrast will be much better as well (for the same reason), making the readout easier to see in different lighting conditions.

As far as the life issue, if I remember correctly, the screen doesn't exactly become unusable. The issue is with the organic material used to produce blue, which has a shorter half-life than for the other two colors. A typical OLED screen will color-shift over time as the blue elements become weaker compared to the green and red ones.

Mostly, though, the post above is correct. It's mainly the cachet involved that leads manufacturers of niche products to use OLED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back