Why not use a Dragonfly Cobalt as desktop amp/dac?
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

franconero

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a simple amp/dac solution for use with an iMac. I'd rather not add a desktop amp and dac to my desk. Outside of the obvious flexibility of inputs on desktop units, is there a reason not to use a portable like the cobalt if the amp and dac sound qualities are within the same range?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm looking for a simple amp/dac solution for use with an iMac. I'd rather not add a desktop amp and dac to my desk. Outside of the obvious flexibility of inputs on desktop units, is there a reason not to use a portable like the cobalt if the amp and dac sound qualities are within the same range?

1. If your headphone could use more power, or if the power it needs is heavily reliant on current (low impedance with low sensitivity).

2. Volume knob vs hot keys/click on icon, move mouse scroll wheel/etc.

3. USB port on computer doesn't work or doesn't work if all ports are hooked up; or has noise. (not a problem on Apple)

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 4
1. If your headphone could use more power, or if the power it needs is heavily reliant on current (low impedance with low sensitivity).

2. Volume knob vs hot keys/click on icon, move mouse scroll wheel/etc.

3. USB port on computer doesn't work or doesn't work if all ports are hooked up; or has noise. (not a problem on Apple)
Thanks for getting back. I'm getting back into this after a few years and I've just got a Grado Hemp headphone. I understand that the Grado is pretty easy to drive, so I thought something like the cobalt might offer enough power. If I'd get a much fuller experience with a more robust amp I'd likely get a desktop. I just sort of like not adding anything to my desk.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for getting back. I'm getting back into this after a few years and I've just got a Grado Hemp headphone. I understand that the Grado is pretty easy to drive, so I thought something like the cobalt might offer enough power. If I'd get a much fuller experience with a more robust amp I'd likely get a desktop. I just sort of like not adding anything to my desk.

Not that huge for a Grado considering the high sensitivity and the Cobalt doesn't have clear issues like very high output impedace etc. If I was using it I'd get an amp or use what I have still, but that's just as much because I want a volume knob and the amp I have is pretty great for Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back