Why not Creative?
Sep 26, 2004 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Barry

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking this evening that nobody ever seems to mention the Creative Zen DAPs. I listened to my brother's Zen the other day and thought that it sounded darned good. Maybe even better than Ipod 3G that was also around.

Am I missing something? Anybody else thinks well or ill of the Zen and its subsequent incarnations?

Barry

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry
I was thinking this evening that nobody ever seems to mention the Creative Zen DAPs. I listened to my brother's Zen the other day and thought that it sounded darned good. Maybe even better than Ipod 3G that was also around.

Am I missing something? Anybody else thinks well or ill of the Zen and its subsequent incarnations?

Barry

They're huge, have an awful user interface, break easily, horrible customer service, bloated and awful drivers, etc.

I had a zen xtra 20gb btw - I hated it. Worst MP3 player I've ever used - and I've used alot of bad mp3 players in my day.

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't have a Zen, but I happen to like Creative's stuff. Check out nomadness.net.

Sep 26, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nleahcim
They're huge, have an awful user interface, break easily, horrible customer service, bloated and awful drivers, etc.

I had a zen xtra 20gb btw - I hated it. Worst MP3 player I've ever used - and I've used alot of bad mp3 players in my day.

Speak for yourself and your own experience. My Zen Nx has been the most reliable player I've had and also sounds the best out of all the players I've owned. (Actually its a toss up between that and the Karma).

Size and user interface goes against it, but when it comes to sound it's up there as one of the best.

Sep 26, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Let me guess, and now you use an Ipod.

EDIT: Just realized this was my 100th post!

Sep 26, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 23
I don't believe the Zen Xtras came in 20 gigs, I thought only the regular ones did. I've heard the Zen Xtra is a good portable source, and seeing as how they're holding steady at $200 on amazon, I think it would be a good investment someday for me to pick one up, considering how cheap they are getting. Also, I've heard the Xtra is a large upgrade over the regular zen as its scroll wheel thing sticks out more and works better.

I actually used one in Best Buy and thought its interface, while not anywhere near the ipod's, to be pretty good (simple, easy to use). It had a 4-band equalizer, which is better than anything else the entire HD portable market has, sad as it is.

Sep 26, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish
Speak for yourself and your own experience. My Zen Nx has been the most reliable player I've had and also sounds the best out of all the players I've owned. (Actually its a toss up between that and the Karma).

Size and user interface goes against it, but when it comes to sound it's up there as one of the best.

Both the headphone jack and the backlight broke on mine. The headphone jack was an easy fix - the backlight I couldn't figure out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
Let me guess, and now you use an Ipod.

EDIT: Just realized this was my 100th post!

No - I don't buy things just to be trendy. I don't own an MP3 player at the moment - nothing on the market is worth buying, imo. (though if i had to get something I'd get the IRiver H340)

Oh and I should mention that I've used other Creative Labs products - many with similar results. CL makes truly the worst drivers on the market. I've had more bad experiences with Creative Labs drivers than with any other company's drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
I don't believe the Zen Xtras came in 20 gigs, I thought only the regular ones did. I've heard the Zen Xtra is a good portable source, and seeing as how they're holding steady at $200 on amazon, I think it would be a good investment someday for me to pick one up, considering how cheap they are getting. Also, I've heard the Xtra is a large upgrade over the regular zen as its scroll wheel thing sticks out more and works better.

I actually used one in Best Buy and thought its interface, while not anywhere near the ipod's, to be pretty good (simple, easy to use). It had a 4-band equalizer, which is better than anything else the entire HD portable market has, sad as it is.

Oops you're right - it was a 30. It's been a while since I got rid of that awful POS...

Sep 26, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

No - I don't buy things just to be trendy. I don't own an MP3 player at the moment - nothing on the market is worth buying, imo. (though if i had to get something I'd get the IRiver H340)

Has the IRiver H340 been released in the US yet?

Sep 26, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 23
the H3xx's areabout to be, they are taking preorders for them on their site now

I used to have a 30GB zen xtra and it was great, not as big as everyone makes them out to be, great sound, and great battery life, very reliable to me, it worked fine after two accendental drops

they are the best priced mp3 players out right now, the 40Gb was only $170 a short time ago, compared to $400 for a 40GB ipod

Sep 26, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 23
btw the iriver 3xx series US version isn't going to have the usb to go feature.

Sep 26, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 23
why creative?

they're cheap (at least where i am) and they sound good.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 23
The zen touch is my current player , it is loud , sounds really good and has a very good UI in my opinion. I have had a h120(hated it), philips hdd100(great but too quiet, ipod 3g(battery sucked and sounded really thin).
I hope creative release a good firmware in october - adding lossless is all it really needs, and the battery goes and goes.
I was in the market for the new sony but it apparently is very quiet also?

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 23
I recently purchased the 60 gig Zen Xtra and I think it sounds great. I'm very pleased with the battery life, too. And I guess it depends on what you've owned as to what you'll think of the size. I think it's incredibly small to hold 60g, but when I look at a new Ipod, that thing is TINY. So far, no problems and I'm really enjoying it.

Sep 26, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 23
I think all Creative has going for it is sound. My Muvo2 and NJB3 easily beats any of my iPods in that area.

But size, interface, and software outweigh the sound quality. I can't stand Creative's software, Media Source or Play Center. They don't read tags properly and I can't figure out how to import m3u playlists. Size is self explanatory. Interface - it's just better on the iPod, maybe not by a lot, but better nevertheless.

And my biggest issue - Creative's players don't act like normal hard drives. That was ok 6 years ago with the NJB1, but not now. Either they're not smart enough or don't have the know-how to switch over to a database system made by the computer software rather than on the player itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back