Why not closed head phones....
May 19, 2006 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wyvernone

Head-Fier
Okay... all of you head-philes out there (DJs and sound engineers too)... can you help explain this:

1. audio design principles say that open headphones sound better than closed headphones
2. most pro DJ/studio/monitor headphones are closed

Since pro DJs' job is to make sure the sound is right, their selected headphones must therefore be closed to being the best in sound production. The best here means: flat response, uncoloured right?

So they end up using headphones like the Sony MDR-V700DJ or Sen HD-25 right.

Why do pros pick these phones?

Is it because there's no equivalent closed version of the Sony MDR-SA5000, HD-650 or ATH-A1000?

or is it because these phones do give them the real sound that they prefer?

Is it because the consumers generally don't like flat-reponse headphones - it's not colourful and exciting enough, it's too boring - and everyone has different taste?

Any pro sound engineers and DJs out there? What phones do you listen to at home and why are they not the same one you use at work? or are you sick of wearing phones after work LOL

-W-

May 19, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Well...

I primarily use a closed headphone, the Headphile-modded Beyerdyanmic DT770. At home, I have to have a closed headphone, because I listen a lot in bed at night and don't want to disturb my wife.

When traveling, I also use the closed Senn HD-25-1 on airplanes.

In the office, I have to use an open headphone, so I can hear the phone ring.

But I actually prefer the sound of my closed modded DT770 to any of the open cans I own. But that's me.

May 19, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 9
For recording in the studio it´s necessary that the headphone sound doesn´t "bleed" into the mics. (Prevent sound from coming out of the phone.)
For DJ´s it´s important to hear what they´re mixing undisturbed from the sound of the PA system. (Prevent sound from getting in the phone.)
For mastering (classical) music, where accurate sound is needed HD 600/650s or AKG 240 DFs are used - open/semi-open phones!
So it depends on what the Pros want to achieve with their phones.

May 19, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Open headphones are all very well and good, but if you can't hear the music you're making then that completely defeats the purposes of using headphones to monitor the music.

There are some excellent closed headphones out there; R10, L3000, 4070, for example, but I can't say I've ever seen a DJ using one.

May 20, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 9
A sound engineer's job is quite different from a DJ's, unless I'm mistaken. A sound engineer needs to balance the mix, and a DJ is working with what the sound engineer's already done. So from a functionality standpoint, neutrality isn't important at all for a DJ, but is crucial for a sound enginer (that said, most sound engineers mix on speakers, not headphones). If I were a DJ, I would just want maximum isolation and a "fun" sound signature.

May 20, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Everyone here has already said what about I'm about to say.

It's all about isolation/sound leakage and purpose

not for me...
I tried ( and bought ) some different pair of closed cans, but everytime found something that did not convinced me , so ( always ) returned to open ones .
For me headphones = open headphones only

May 20, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
not for me...
I tried ( and bought ) some different pair of closed cans, but everytime found something that did not convinced me , so ( always ) returned to open ones .
For me headphones = open headphones only

Are you a DJ? .. He's talking about the characteristics that work best for DJs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back