Why not bare copper conductors?
Apr 6, 2017 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Logistics

500+ Head-Fier
In all these years, I've seen a lot of ridiculous threads, and even more ridiculous users with ludicrous ideas on what they think they can hear when they make some strange change. Everyone hears differently, but I'm confident everyone will agree that they have seen this hilarious pattern pop up during their years of forum lurking.

That said, I want to focus on one particular aspect--connectors. Now, I have always made sure to concern myself with the physical makeup of cables and connectors, even what was used to create the leads on components.

And from time to time you get users who have a sort of maintenance schedule attitude towards things such as cables and connectors, removing them, cleaning them and treating the mating surfaces with DEOXIT or a similar product.

Now, given this obsession with full conductivity, why not just use bare copper? We all know that anything outside of silver plating over the copper surface is going to reduce conductivity. So why not mate bare copper jacks with bare copper plugs, and maintain them to simply avoid oxidation and corrosion?

It's a given that we are also considering end-users who are savvy with a soldering iron, lest they need to change their jacks, someday.

Matthew

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 16
By bare copper conductors, do you mean:
a] Without an insulating sleeve/sheath?
b] Without tin plating?
c] Without silver plating?
is the cord/cable:
d] Unbalanced interconnect?
e] Balanced interconnect?
f]  Headphone cord?
g] Speaker cable?
h] AC power cord?

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 16
Let's just keep it simple: RCA jacks and plugs as an example. I apologize, I often get lost in many thoughts, and forget to be specific. I was only thinking of analog signal transfer.

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 16
If the plug and jack make a good low resistance joint, then it doesn't matter what the metals are, they will sound the same.  The real question is: will they continue to make a low resistance joint with time and repeated use? For bare copper the answer is 'probably not'.
Now to add to the problem are dis-similar metals and plating quality.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm not going to argue a difference in sound. I've already established that we're talking about extremist, even ridiculous tendencies of some audio enthusiasts. I'm simply surprised that copper to copper has not become "a thing". Some argue this point in automotive forums when taking into consideration battery cable ends.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 16
To me, unless the cable is made of poor conductivity materials, I never able to tell the difference in the sound between $5 and $5000 cables.

Cosmetic of the cable is also very important.  I do buy the cables because of their look.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Like I've reiterated, I'm not talking about that aspect. I'm not a believer in expensive cables. I'm strictly a "it's built, correctly with proper materials" guy. I'm simply surprised I don't see guys running bare plugs and jacks. Especially, when there ARE guys using bare conductor wires between their amplifiers and speakers. I would think they'd take it that extra step, but I haven't seen it, yet.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 16
Once again, if we are talking about connector contact surfaces, then bare copper will work, if and only if you can keep the surfaces clean. That's not an easy task with bare copper.

About the only good cord or cable that can be made with bare copper would be a low radio frequency antenna wire.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 16
I agree that, on a relative scale, it's not easy to keep bare copper clean. Although, I work in automotive restoration, and see a lot of bare copper in my field, whether it be car parts or tools, and even in a country-side shop, where we are exposed to lots of roof leaks, condensation from the cold weather that makes it rain inside the shop, etc. we don't see things corrode or oxidize in any quick fashion. I would imagine that an indoor setting would contribute towards the surface staying clean for much longer.

If I were so inclined to utilize bare conductors, then I wouldn't mind if I had to disconnect and RE-treat the surfaces with DEOXIT or the like, even once a month. Hmm...

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 16
I'm simply surprised I don't see guys running bare plugs and jacks.

To be honest, I'm not really surprised. The "error" in your reasoning which has led you to being surprised is that you're approaching the issue with logic + the applicable facts. This is an "error" because that's NOT the approach of the audiophile industry! The approach of the audiophile industry is logic + inapplicable facts (or incorrect, made-up or perverted "facts"), which of course renders the logic invalid, and the driving force behind this approach is money. Take gold connectors; use a couple of dollars of low grade gold plating and you've now got a cable which looks good, which you can market as higher performance and charge ten or more times the cost. The applicable fact; that it makes no practical difference to performance or actually worsens it (due to poorer longevity for example), is just an issue easily solvable with some very simple obvious marketing. Go into commercial recording studios and you'll never see uber-expensive cables or gold connectors because pro audio engineers are not so easily suckered by the marketing and why pay more for the same (or worse) performance?

The reason I'm not surprised is because there's no obvious way for the audiophile industry to charge 10, 100 (or whatever) times more for bare plugs and therefore no reason to market or publicise the idea. If someone ever figures out such a product and how to frame the marketing to justify (to audiophiles) a massive profit margin, then I'm certain we'd start seeing them.

G

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 16
I don't think we are on the same train of thought, gregorio because I tried to establish that I'm talking about some of the more nonsensical users. I'm not touching on practical situations. I have seen plenty of unreasonable posts, and understand how some unrealistic users think so I don't see what this has to do with logic, mine or otherwise.

?_?

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 16
I don't think we are on the same train of thought, gregorio because I tried to establish that I'm talking about some of the more nonsensical users. I'm not touching on practical situations. I have seen plenty of unreasonable posts, and understand how some unrealistic users think so I don't see what this has to do with logic, mine or otherwise.

?_?
Nonsensical users probably wouldn't want to entertain your train of thought.

I've always thought if I were to keep my equipment forever and not change their positions at all, I would be ok with soldering the patch cords directly to the input and outputs of the components' PCB.

Copper to copper connectors hasn't become a thing because of man's obsession with keeping surfaces free of tarnishing. But if a connector is crimped on with additional force like battery connector ends then I guess pure copper connectors could be a thing. Up until today every single analog connetion is literally held in place by friction.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Here I am, the one who buys expensive cables just for the aesthetics, same goes for the connectors and plugs. There is nothing more gorgeous than Furutechs rhodium plated and carbon finished connectors.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 16
Copper develops a patina (the green coating) which increases resistance. Bare copper contacts will lose signal quality over time, even in pure power cables this is noticeable.

A gold or silver plating on a copper connector will improve the signal quality.

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 16
Copper develops a patina (the green coating) which increases resistance. Bare copper contacts will lose signal quality over time, even in pure power cables this is noticeable................................
Only if the joint is poor. A good connection won't loss quality. But maintaining a good joint can be problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back