Why no video playback now?
Sep 24, 2019 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DigitalDeviant

New Head-Fier
I mean OK, the answer is inevitably smartphones right :disappointed:.
I have a cowon D2 DAP and its yonks old now, so i have been considering something nice and new and looking at what is out there for me. I am disappointed to find that video playback doesn't seem to be a consideration anymore. Given that modern DAP devices are far more powerful than an ageing D2 that does do video I am left deflated. OK i have to convert videos for the D2 but that's just admin overhead when managing ones collection. Why do i want videos on a DAP? - i like to save videos from youtube and whatnot, with lyrics or user art to go with my music. I am not a sadist, these go alongside lossless files for when i just want to listen but i do enjoy the option of lyrics and such.

I have found the FIIO X5iii - which thanks to this forum i understand can be modded to playback video but i wonder what else might be out there that has this feature that i may have so far missed? are my choices basically neutered android gizmos now, that i then need to mod to get full use of?

always an absolute trove of knowledge this place - thank you.:blush:

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 8
I mean OK, the answer is inevitably smartphones right :disappointed:.
I have a cowon D2 DAP and its yonks old now, so i have been considering something nice and new and looking at what is out there for me. I am disappointed to find that video playback doesn't seem to be a consideration anymore. Given that modern DAP devices are far more powerful than an ageing D2 that does do video I am left deflated. OK i have to convert videos for the D2 but that's just admin overhead when managing ones collection. Why do i want videos on a DAP? - i like to save videos from youtube and whatnot, with lyrics or user art to go with my music. I am not a sadist, these go alongside lossless files for when i just want to listen but i do enjoy the option of lyrics and such.

I have found the FIIO X5iii - which thanks to this forum i understand can be modded to playback video but i wonder what else might be out there that has this feature that i may have so far missed? are my choices basically neutered android gizmos now, that i then need to mod to get full use of?

always an absolute trove of knowledge this place - thank you.:blush:

YouTube is on the A&K SP2000

Edit: looks like the SP1000 had it added now too, V-Link function in the firmware update? It's goes straight to YouTube but guess there may be more to come.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 8
YouTube is on the A&K SP2000

Christ on a bike mate, that's a £3k DAP - never ever am i affording that. I don't think i would even if i had 3k lying around, i am not that critical a listener. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Check out Rockbox.org, you can play videos even on the players that were not meant to do that.

ahh i remember this project from some time ago. Unfortunately compatability is slow and hit and miss. Take the Cowon D2 which i currently own and is something like 10 years old, Rockbox still isn't fully compatible. Thanks for the pointer though.

I am looking for something to replace my D2+. Something in the region of £300 that sounds good, plays the usual lossy & lossless files, and can playback music videos. Anything under £300 seems to completely lack video playback, at least that's what i find so far. There are loads of fantastic looking DAPs in all price ranges but video is sorely lacking. I do have the FIIO x5iii on my radar, i think it supports side loading so may be what i need.

Sep 26, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 8
Hiby R5
Hiby R6Pro
Fiio M11
Fiio M11 Pro
Shanling M6

All fast android devices you can install youtube and similar on, vlc, mxplayerpro etc for playing videos.

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Hiby R5
Hiby R6Pro
Fiio M11
Fiio M11 Pro
Shanling M6

thank you - the M11 seems like a powerhouse but i put that aside as its over budget - but then budgets can and often do get pushed :) the x5iii seems like the older gen offering now but still offers a lot for the money.
Those HiBy, honestly I've never heard of them but they seem to be offering a lot of spec for the money,so i think the R5 has to be on the short list - it seems similar to the x5iii from FIIO but more updated.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back