Why no UPS recommendations?
Dec 30, 2006 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27
FutureShop/BestBuy had there 900VA BELKIN UPS's on for $50.
So I bought 2 on kicks, and curiosity.
For me, UPS’s have always seemed the most logical solutions for hi-fi…..
And ya, guess what… they sound phenomenal! OCD clean, rock stable, unimaginable dynamic contrasting, and with this; absolute technical abilities….. Straight up↑, PERFECT!
Well at least in my eyes, especially when I'll end up making money on an upgrade….

So, seriously guy's.. What's up?
Honestly, I don't get it?
There something else I should know?

confused.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 27
Why do you need battery back up on your music or entertainment system? You only need surge protection.

I've got three UPS's in my house. One for computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. One for fiber modem and router. And one for my NAS. They are there so I don't lose data and so I can safely shut down (or safely shut themselves down if I'm not there). They all have a 120 minute running time (actual time is shorter due to amout of draw). And I can continue to surf the internet because the local node is on a grid with three hospitals, so it never goes down.

You don't need them on music or tv devises because if power goes out you aren't going to lose anything. As long as you have surge protection on these devices you stuff won't get damaged if the power goes out.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read all of post #2 in this thread.

The thread is a good read. I have been considering something for my headphone system. I have my heart set on a PS Audio UPC-200. They have dropped in price recently on Audiogon.

Pardon me, while I remove my foot from my mouth...
plainface.gif

I had no idea that a plugging audio equiptment into a wall outlet or surge protector would definately damage it. I guess a UPS is an absolute neccesity!

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnm222876 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon me, while I remove my foot from my mouth...
plainface.gif

I had no idea that a plugging audio equiptment into a wall outlet or surge protector would definately damage it. I guess a UPS is an absolute neccesity!

Using a good surge strip is recommended for any audio gear, it will not damage anything. Connecting your audio gear into a $50 UPS/surge strip will damage it according the the info presented in that linked thread.

A UPS that supplies a true sine wave output is needed for use with standard audio gear or other similar equipement. You should only use these inexpensive UPS/surge strips with small PC setups.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 27
A lot of the info on this subject makes no sense. Pass the salt.
Better: grab a martini and do some *serious* research.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to explain?

The threads I've seen on this topic in the past have way too much heresay, contradiction, and unbacked statements. I'm not referring to any specific post, but the topic in general. The little bit of serious research I've done on the subject isn't conclusive enough to satisfy me, so I won't add more unbacked opinion to the topic. I even get contradictory information from what should be knowledgeable sources, but that may be because of marketing bias or other biases. So, the problem isn't just on this message board. Since it's so hard to distinguish the good information from the bad, do some research for yourself. Barring that, take advice from people you know you can trust.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 27
I've done a fair amount of reading about this subject in the past month. what I am convinced of is- using a quality on-line UPS system such as this Tripp-Lite unit is a sure bet for improved performance while at the same time protecting and prolonging equipment life.

I do plan to buy a unit such as the one linked to here eventually.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 27
Thanks,

APC seems to be implying that their units are the best for high-end audio gear. I did read in another topic that APC is highly regarded.

In the end it will come down to price and avalabilty as to which brand I buy (Tripp-Lite or APC) . I would like to buy locally instead of ordering on-line.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 27
What I said earlier wasn't constructive. My boss always says to ignore people that complain but can't provide an alternative. I don't have too many definitive answers, but I have a lot of questions. Maybe laying some of them out will help. They're intended to provoke thought: I'm not asking for the answers.

What do these devices do, and what do I want from them?
1. surge & spike suppression to prevent equipment from getting fried by lightning
2. line noise suppression to keep rf and other noise from getting into equipment
3. noise isolation between components, particularly between types of equipment: high current amplifiers, low current preamps and sources, network & telephone, TV, and digital
4. battery backup in case of power failure
5. line conditioning, specifically the ability to maintain a stable ac voltage
6. Should I isolate devices that draw high peak current from more sensitive devices? Why? Do these spikes constitute line noise? Can it damage other components?

UPS Questions
1. Can a particular UPS safely power my equipment while on battery power?
2. Does it matter whether it delivers a square wave or a rounded square wave (pseduo sine wave)?
3. Can the UPS safely power my equipment when it's delivering normal power? i.e. can it handle the load and peak demands?
4. Do I need battery backup at all? Here's an interesting post about a fan turning off when power stops: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=27712

Other Devices
1. Does the device handle the instantaneous current peaks demanded by power amplifiers and displays?
2. Is it safe to use more than one surge suppressor? (I think this relates to MOV devices.) I've heard conflicting reports: when in series, does their capability diminish like capacitors or do they really just not work at all anymore?

Misc. Thoughts & Questions
1. Did you check to see if your line is really ever dirty?
2. Does the device actually solve the problem? One concern here is that almost anything you add will increase the line impedance, and that might make matters worse.

And one controversial question
3. Does equipment really need a pure sine wave generated from a battery? If it's so pure, and you started with DC, why not just use the DC directly and bypass the component's front end power supply?

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks,

APC seems to be implying that their units are the best for high-end audio gear. I did read in another topic that APC is highly regarded.

In the end it will come down to price and avalabilty as to which brand I buy (Tripp-Lite or APC) . I would like to buy locally instead of ordering on-line.

See the part about their AV line made specifically for home entertainment use.

"Amplifiers and subwoofers will often draw a tremendous amount of current on startup. This large in-rush current can damage or at the very least overload a traditional IT-style UPS."

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 27
If you ever find a source that answers all or most of those questions please post a link. Your "questions" post sparked a few more subjects for me to add to the pile.

It is very difficult to put this puzzle together. If money was no object I would just go overboard with serious overkill. My budget will surely be under $500 which makes this decision more difficult.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See the part about their AV line made specifically for home entertainment use.

"Amplifiers and subwoofers will often draw a tremendous amount of current on startup. This large in-rush current can damage or at the very least overload a traditional IT-style UPS."

...Amplifiers and subwoofers will often draw a tremendous amount of current on startup

I have a little gadget called the Kill-A-Watt that I bought at Radio Shack years ago. It's fun to plug things into it and see just how much power is sucked up. Plugging my Rotel amp into it reveals a large instant current rush when first powered up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back