Why no reviews of headroom ultra desktop dac?
Sep 13, 2009 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dickbianchi

100+ Head-Fier
I cant find anything substantial about this dac outside of headrooms own press. In spite of the fact that it's been out for several months.... many head-fi folk have heard it (at canjam, etc) and some have bought it. (No reviews in press but it's a little early). In spite of fact that it uses the Sabre chip that everyone is talking about and a few are using.

Hey you guys that have owned this dac for awhile. Do you like it or not? Why or why not. How does it compare to other dacs you've used?

Usually on head-fi, if someone's paid 1300$ for a dac and he likes it, he cant stop talking about it. He's posting new sonic developments every five minutes
and seeking to start an online affinity group.

Id like to know more about it since I too react to the nice things people have said about the chip and some products that use it. And I want to buy a new dac.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 17
I have both the HR UltraDAC (UDAC) and BUDA -- I feel that they are a fantastic combination. How much is due to the DAC vs the amp is obviously difficult to say. I also have an older "max" amp/DAC (now sold as Ultra Desktop amp/dac) and a Benchmark DAC1, and I much prefer the UltraDAC/BUDA to either - the UDAC seems to have much better resolution, and a somewhat more "analog"-like sound. Of course, this doesn't tell you how the UDAC really stacks up against other DACs or how well it works with other amps. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to do this. I'm sure others will eventually write a more comprehensive review.

I'm also a little surprised there aren't more reviews of the UDAC on Head-Fi (aside from folks like myself who have purchased the UDAC/BUDA package from HR). However HR products in general often do not get many posts in the general forums (aside from the HR forum itself). The Buffalo DAC (basically a DIY-type project from Twisted Pear Audio) uses a slightly different version of the Sabre chip and has received some very favorable comments (do a Google search). From what I've read, the UDAC probably sounds very similar if not the same in terms of its overall sound quality to the Buffalo DAC. The Sabre chip itself is relatively new and the manufacturer seems to keep its specs under very tight wrap. It's quite possible other DAC manufacturers might have some hesitation introducing such a chip into their DACs which are based on chips with a longer track record -- but I'm only guessing here.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 17
The UDAC does indeed use the ESS9008 Sabre chip. I've had a UDAC/BUDA/DPS combo here for a week, and just returned it yesterday. The UDAC is a nice sounding DAC, no doubt, but after repeated A/B listening, I simply could not identify any difference between it and my CI Audio VDA2/VAC1 (which cost a lot less ££). I've always thought the VDA2 to be a superb value DAC, so wasn't hugely surprised to be honest. Dusty @ CI Audio confirmed that the VDA2 and Sabre chip do ineed have a very similar sound. For me, the UDAC wasn't an upgrade, hence why I returned it, but that's not to say I didn't like it...I couldn't tell it apart from a DAC that I really really like, so if I didn't already have the VDA2, it might have been a different story.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UltraDAC doesn't use Sabre chip AFAIK, it uses excellent Cirrus Logic CS4398 dac chip. Having heard a portable DAC based on it's yonger brother CS4397 I know how good it may sound, and I stongly believe that UltraDAC may be a really great sounding piece of gear.

The old one used that chip, the new one uses the Sabre.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 17
I don't like writing reviews, but I said I would do so for the UltraDAC ("UDAC"), so here goes. However, before doing so, a few words of disclosure. I like HeadRoom and have been a customer for a few years. I know and consider Tyll a friend (while also knowing full well that Tyll has legions of friends here (i.e., I'm not special)). I don't believe that gear will sound much different at hour 1, 500, 5000. And I don't care at all about cables. I let you know this not because I dispute the premise about such things, but rather to let you know how I approach gear and how I hear things. Therefore, what follows with respect to sonic impressions is based upon listening sessions aggregated over time with an assortment of random cables.

I bought the UDAC and returned it within the 30-day window. First, a big thanks to HeadRoom for its awesome, no questions asked return policy. The smooth transaction both purchasing and returning the DAC is one of the reasons why I will keep going back to HeadRoom.

As you can see, I am a HeadRoom fan. I've owned a Bithead, MicroStack (older version), Desktop Balanced Amp with DAC (home versions), DPS, and the UDAC. My favorite of the aforementioned was the Balanced Desktop. I still miss it. My least favorite was the Bithead. As for the UDAC, I liked it, but didn't love it, which is why I returned it.

Build Quality

The UDAC is a well-built and straightforward device. If you like HR's desktop aesthetic, then you'll like this. If I have one complaint about the build, it's that I think it would benefit from some more mass. Not sure how HR would accomplish this, but the UDAC was light enough that it moved around pretty easily. Of course, I also have a 55 pound DAC, which is a bit overkill.
smily_headphones1.gif
Note that the UDAC does not seem fragile or delicate. I just wished for some more heft so that it didn't have as much play when disconnecting cables, etc.

Operation

The UDAC is not a complicated device. The front panel has the power toggle switch, sample rate indicators, input selection button and indicators, and filter selector and indicators (the filters made little to no difference to me). The selectors are soft touch buttons, which are a nice update from HR's toggle switches. The display is easy to read. I would have liked a "dim" option for the bright green LEDs. I also would have liked it if the UDAC remembered my input settings after power cycling.

The back of the UDAC has coax, optical, and USB inputs and unbalanced and balanced outputs. All solidly built and easy to use.

Sound

As noted (correctly) by Icarium above, the UDAC uses the ES9008 Sabre chip. I've heard a bunch of DACs, but none that use the Sabre. Unfortunately, I've been swapping in and out a lot of gear lately, but I believe most of these impressions are based on the UDAC feeding a KGSS DX to my O2 mk1 and a GLite to my HD800.

One of the first things I noticed about the UDAC was how dead quiet it is. This DAC builds on and greatly improves HR's already good "black between the notes" performance with its DACs. The black background lends a sense of air and space to the instruments, which, in turn, adds to a nice soundstage. This dead quiet combined with a non-lingering decay make for a sound that is very quick and agile.

Quick/agile DACs are sometimes associated with brightness. Such is not the case here. I found the UDAC to be right down the middle. Not bright, not warm. Rather, the UDAC sounded smooth and laid back to me. To a fault. Despite the UDAC's sense of speed, air, and space, my perception was that it lacked the midrange attack that gets my toes tapping. I find female vocals to be a good test for whether I love a DAC. The UDAC handles female vocals very competently, but they did not leap out at me in the way that some other DACs do, which disappointed me. I am not sure that this is an actual flaw in the UDAC, it very well be that I prefer a sweetened midrange, which is actually a way for some DAC designers to get away with less technically savvy designs. Or I could just be hearing things.

For example, with rock, I find the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 to be a very satisying sounding DAC, which I attribute to its midbass and slightly forward mids. However, I sense a bit of congestion, too, with the ECD-1, which sacrifices detail and slows down the presentation. This congestion could be a deal-breaker for some. And the UDAC does not suffer from the same flaw. Rather, it presents the detail, but not in a splashy or tizzy way like the Benchmark DAC1. At the same time, the UDAC lacks that punch in the middle that I find satisfying, especially with vocals and guitar.

Things change a bit with classical. With the ECD-1, the midrange can sound a bit artificial to me with classical music. Here, the UDAC again plays it straight, though laid back. For a classical lover, I think the UDAC would be a solid choice. For a rock lover, I'm not quite so sure. And, sorry, I know almost nothing about jazz so no opinions there.

Of the DACs I have heard, I think that the UDAC sounds most like the North Star m192 mk2. The NS beats out the UDAC in terms of soundstage and musicality. I think the UDAC wins on detail.

Bottom Line

The UDAC is what you would expect from HeadRoom: solid, capable, and satisfying. However, the UDAC is not for everyone, like all gear. If you are like me, and want a DAC that sweeps you up in the mids, then I suspect that the UDAC isn't for you. However, if you prefer a DAC that favors coherence above all else, making sure that each constituent part is represented equally, then the UDAC is worthy of your consideration. I will note, however, that the UDAC is competing with a bunch of highly competent and entertaining used DACs at its price point.

HeadRoom's UDAC is a well thought out piece of gear. And while it was not quite my perfect cup of tea, I also would not have shed tears if someone said I had to keep it, as the UDAC is quite capable of delivering a musically satisfying experience.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Just to follow-up on my earlier comments, and especially in light of The Monkey's splendid review --- the key thing about the UDAC and in fact every DAC out there boils down to how well it synergizes with the other components in a particular system. For example, I find that the UDAC/BUDA combination works magic, most likely because the strengths and weaknesses of each balance out quite well. Personal taste matters too -- some may prefer the detailed somewhat laid back type of sound that characterizes the UDAC, myself included. Having had considerable experience with a more forward sounding DAC - the Benchmark DAC1 - I find the UDAC/BUDA to be a much more enjoyable and less fatiguing listening experience. I agree with The Monkey in terms of the UDAC being a musically satisfying and capable DAC that is quite competitive with other DACs in its price range and probably even above.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the kind words, twsmith. And it's a very good point about the fatigue; I did not find the UDAC at all fatiguing. Also, having experienced the MicroStack and the earlier version of the Balanced Desktop with DAC, I agree that HR gear combos synergize well and often punch above their weight. I look forward to hearing the UDAC/BUDA combo.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 17
There is a kind of audiophile dream that some get to live out, esp. if they live in major city. I am looking to buy a new dac. I would love to try several with my system, and return them until I find the ONE or determine that none of them surpass what I already have enough to make me want to buy it.

That's not going to happen for me. Even if it did I might not be able to tell the salient differences on a short term basis. I seem to get really acquainted with my components over the long haul and am not good at short-time decisions.

So I depend on reviews. Certain dacs on this forum have a following. When a dac has a following, a lot of people talk about it and you get a sense of what kind of equipment they are using with it, and their reactions and problems. When a dac dos not have a following, especially a dac from a popular company like headroom, I assume that people are not too inspired for whatever reason and are unwilling to spread the uninspiring news. It becomes one I can forgo auditioning in favor of a dac that is generating a lot of excitement.

As for synergy with the BUDA, it is good to know that some people think the UDAC and BUDA were made for each other. My favorite stuff is stax, so this makes the UDAC less interesting. Synergy with other equipment will interest me only as I own or plan to buy that equipment.

This forum has been useful for helping me to decide that I can do without a UDAC audition unless it somehow becomes easy for me to do so at some point. If it does generate a following and a lot of usage information, I could change my mind. For that reason, I am thankful for all the comments.

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 17
Hey guys,

I have a D5000 with HR Micro Amp, major upgrade time.

Im leaning towards the BUDA/UDAC/DPS combo. Rewiring my D5000 with Zu Mobius Balanced cables. Based on what i see in the forums, i think i'll prefer this cable over the cardas. Any thoughts, advise, comments on my upgrade?

Also, i wonder if i can get a special deal from Headroom, where they take out the 2 Astrodyne Power Supplys included with the Ultra Stack, and replace this with a DPS + Extra Power Cable for UDAC, and the DiMarzio XLR Balanced Interconnects (1.5ft). All for 1 Sweet price. Does HR do stuff like that?

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewhypolite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I have a D5000 with HR Micro Amp, major upgrade time.

Im leaning towards the BUDA/UDAC/DPS combo. Rewiring my D5000 with Zu Mobius Balanced cables. Based on what i see in the forums, i think i'll prefer this cable over the cardas. Any thoughts, advise, comments on my upgrade?

Also, i wonder if i can get a special deal from Headroom, where they take out the 2 Astrodyne Power Supplys included with the Ultra Stack, and replace this with a DPS + Extra Power Cable for UDAC, and the DiMarzio XLR Balanced Interconnects (1.5ft). All for 1 Sweet price. Does HR do stuff like that?

I would like to know the answer to this too. Sometime in the future I would like to order a whole new setup and it would be nice if we could bargain for a more expansive package than just the Ultra Stack.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Well guys, i've bit the bullet and placed the order for the following from headroom:

Ultra Balanced Stack Pacakge
DPS
DPS Power Cord
XLR Interconnects 1.5'
Denon D7000 Balanced/XLR
JMoney Denon Lambskin Earpads for D2000/D5000/D7000 (pair)
Sennheiser Headphone Holder

And btw Born2bwire they do special deals like we were wondering, had them remove the Astrodyne and include the DPS for a discounted price
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewhypolite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well guys, i've bit the bullet and placed the order for the following from headroom:

Ultra Balanced Stack Pacakge
DPS
DPS Power Cord
XLR Interconnects 1.5'
Denon D7000 Balanced/XLR
JMoney Denon Lambskin Earpads for D2000/D5000/D7000 (pair)
Sennheiser Headphone Holder

wallet is officially on life support.
ksc75smile.gif

i have a HR balanced home with max module and max balanced DAC and really like it. i was told that the ultra stack + DPS sounds similar, so this should be a very good setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back