Why no non-IEM multi-driver headphones?
Nov 17, 2005 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
The high-end IEM's already have up to three drivers now. Why don't some full-size cans have at least a seperate tweeter? It could be mounted just forward of the mid/bass driver -- in a very wide 'V' configuration. The tweeter would be very small, so it wouldn't have to make the cans a lot bigger.

Maybe having the mid's and high-frequencies not pointing in the same exact direction might mess things up, I don't know. I'm just wondering.

-bdh

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 6
My understanding of audio reproduction is that the 'holy grail' is actually a single driver that produces a wave form that eminates from a point source. Multiple drivers is a way of getting round traditional frequency response limitations in speakers that do not apply to headphones as the amount of sound needed is infinitely smaller.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 6
AKG did this with the K340. I think the model was discontinued because the production costs were too high. As to how good it is, well, Philodox will tell you
icon10.gif

I don't really see a need for multiple drivers if one driver does not have any problems reproducing a wide frequency range. This is a problem that's specifically unique to balanced armature drivers, thus the need for armature-driver'ed IEM's to have additional drivers at the frequency extremes. The K340 was more of an attemt to combine the traditional virtues of electrostatics and dynamics, though the electrostatic element in the 340 is an electret and not a "true" electrostatic (sonically, though, a good electret is close enough). It would be nice to see AKG or someone else perhaps take up the idea given the basic success of the K340's design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back