Why no mention of the Bryston BHA-1 here???
Dec 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FSonicSmith

100+ Head-Fier
As I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum, I have LCD-2s with Moon Silver Dragon V3 on the way.
I posted an inquiry as to why with the popularity of low impedance cans from Audeze and HiFiMan more manufacturers were not designing amps capable of delivering current rather than volts, into low impedance rather than high, with these hard-to-drive cans in mind. No one responded (I blame myself-I guess we all share the same question with no ready answers).
I had pretty much decided on a Violectric V200 to fit the bill and am still leaning in that direction, but I just learned of the Bryston BHA-1.
Like the Violectric, Bryston seems to understand the role of current and took that into account in the design of this new amp, which just hit the market.
I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Galen Carol (no connection) so I intend to pick his brain as he has never steered me wrong and he is now listing this amp as in stock.
I am a bit surprised that there has been virtually no talk on this entire Board about this headphone amp.

So, what gives?

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 12
I haven't heard of it but I have heard Bryston products at a local audio store that loves them. It was the top of the line Bryston amp and the Bryston BDA 1 with B&W Diamond Series, I thought they were both great products (1000 watts per channel? :O). Especially the DAC. Slightly lean presentation but still full bodied enough to sound organic.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Bryston clearly did not get the memo that the headphone output XLR jacks should be female, not male. Edit: hrmm looks like there are differing images on this amp actually, as some show female XLR jacks and other images show male XLR jacks.

I also find it weird that the BHA-1 isn't on their Web site, or at least not yet....

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 12
Bryston BHA-1 in the latest Audio Advisor catalog although not on their website.  $1295.  Bryston has a 20 year parts & labor warranty on their analog equipment.  Nice discussion with one of Bryston's owner participating  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91385.340

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 12
I spoke with Bryston about this amp because I was confused by the fact the photos in the Audio Advisor catalog show male xlr connectors for the balanced headphone out. That's the opposite of what everyone else does and certainly not how I have my balanced headphones cabled. There are actually two versions of the amp coming, one with male connectors and one with female connectors on the front panel. The amp is not yet in production due to a last minute circuit change but is expected to start shipping late Feb or early Mar. I was pretty interested in the amp but based on my conversation with them I heard some things that made me wonder if they're really involved enough with headphones to nail the sound quality. This is purely reading between the lines and I'm still really curious to hear the amp but I'm not as anxious to buy one as I was when I first saw it.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 12
wow reading that thread at audio circle has me seriously considering the bha1 for my lcd2's. seems to be a great amp for the price, will be interesting to see how it compares to the schiit statement amp when its released. love that they are fellow canadians also!

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 12
People on headfi general stay away from big-name hi-fi companies like Bryston and Musical Fidelity when it comes to headphone amps.  Not sure why, is it because they aren't purely headphone people?  Also, it seems that this site is kind of being taken over by people who like cheap stuff like Fiio.  It's easy to love something that's like 150 bucks, lol.  Buying a 1200 dollar Bryston is just uncool, because first of all it's a big hi-fi company and second of all, it's so expensive.  Why spend 1k when you can by a crappy Fiios for like 100 bucks.  Seriously people?  Fiio?  It's like the people who drink PBR beer and talk about how good it is and how cheap it is.  Guess what, it still tastes like piss.  Yet, you're uncool if you drink some amazing tasting and maybe pricey micro brew.  I know that I'm pretty much full of crap, but it's still fun to rant a little :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
People on headfi general stay away from big-name hi-fi companies like Bryston and Musical Fidelity when it comes to headphone amps.  Not sure why, is it because they aren't purely headphone people?  Also, it seems that this site is kind of being taken over by people who like cheap stuff like Fiio.  It's easy to love something that's like 150 bucks, lol.  Buying a 1200 dollar Bryston is just uncool, because first of all it's a big hi-fi company and second of all, it's so expensive.  Why spend 1k when you can by a crappy Fiios for like 100 bucks.  Seriously people?  Fiio?  It's like the people who drink PBR beer and talk about how good it is and how cheap it is.  Guess what, it still tastes like piss.  Yet, you're uncool if you drink some amazing tasting and maybe pricey micro brew.  I know that I'm pretty much full of crap, but it's still fun to rant a little :)

As much as the upper end of the audio spectrum is growing, I don't know that that case could be made. Sure there are a lot of people who have cheap, budget level set ups, But I see just as many threads on "entry to high end" settups like the lyr -> HE-500 and O2 -> LCD-2. There's even numerous threads on the forum discussing the fact that what the forum now considers "mid-fi" as far as a headphone settup is many hundreds more than the go to high end settup of 4-6 years ago (like the HD-650 and Beyer DT-880)

I'd agree 100% however that HiFi "regulars" tend to be less popular on hear than the headphone specific companies. Maybe it's a feeling that the old companies are too dry and stuffy, or maybe its caused by the compulsive need for specialization that has caused us to add more and more specific and segregated boxes to our audio chains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back