Why no love for the Sennheiser 660S?
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 27
Howdy all!

First post here - and my first foray into wired headphones in about 20 years. Used to be a loyal Sony headphone user (don't remember the models), and about 10 years ago I bought a pair of Grado SR60's (I think) which I used until my cat ate the cord. I got into wireless earbuds for a while (I used to do a bit of travel for my old job) but just never got super comfortable with them. Invested in a set of B&O H-8i noise cancelling headphones, which I really like (and work well).

Anyway, just got a set of Sennheiser HD660S from Amazon (lots of points, and found a set OB at a great discount). Also bought a Douk Audio P1 as an entry point into the whole amplified headphone thing. Before you ask, yes, I've already started "tube rolling"... So far, these are really nice headphones. I find them to be a touch "thick" but fairly airy and clean. I listen to mostly classic rock, with the occasional classical, jazz, and country thrown in for good measure. These are for my late night relaxation time - work can be quite stressful.

After doing some late-night Ambien shopping, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD8xx and a xDuoo TA-30 in transit. The addiction begins, I guess. Thanks for a fantastic forum - plan on spending a lot of time reading and probably Ambien-shopping based on this forum's feedback!

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #17 of 27
One word: Tyll

Tyll killed the 660S. It never had a chance with him **** all over it at its' release.

Weird thing is most who have bought one anyway have liked it.

But many people just sheepishly agreed with him without even trying it and many people still to this day regurgitate the same critiques about it he had 10 years ago.

In 2020+, Zeos is Tyll. He can single handedly make or break any headphone release. If I were a new headphone manufacturer, I would be absolutely terrified to send Zeos my headphone for review lol. Because he has so much influence.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #18 of 27
One word: Tyll

Tyll killed the 660S. It never had a chance with him **** all over it at its' release.

Weird thing is most who have bought one anyway have liked it.

But many people just sheepishly agreed with him without even trying it and many people still to this day regurgitate the same critiques about it he had 10 years ago.

In 2020+, Zeos is Tyll. He can single handedly make or break any headphone release. If I were a new headphone manufacturer, I would be absolutely terrified to send Zeos my headphone for review lol. Because he has so much influence.
It's interesting you say this because Zeos reviewed the 660S positively. I, too, put weight into what these industry experts say in their reviews considering it's impossible to test drive most of these headphones before actually buying them.

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 27
Being very new (again) to this hobby, I try and watch many different reviewers until I settle on a few that I feel are honest, genuine, and not in bed with the makers of the products they are reviewing. As soon as I hear "for full disclosure, XXX sent me (whatever) for evaluation..." my red flag radar immediately goes off.

Zeos seems to be (IMO) a very straight shooter. Love the frank, sometimes foul language, and very detailed way he reviews. I don't get the whole "Anime" thing, but I don't that that really matters. His reviews are still valid.

Honestly, it was his review of the 660's that made me decide "eh, why the **** not - I make enough money, I need another expensive hobby."

Dec 14, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 27
Yep I've made a few purchases myself from a Zeos review. The SendyAudio Aiva being the first. His reviews of the Klipsch Heresy IV and Forte IV led me to purchasing Cornwall IVs.

I also bought a Sony MDR-Z7M2 about a month before Zeos released his review. I bought it for full retail on Amazon for $900. Zeos released his review, which was less than favorable, I saw the writing on the wall and returned it to Amazon. Shortly after the used market for the Z7M2 tanked. I picked up a used Z7M2 about 8 months later for under $200.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #23 of 27
Being very new (again) to this hobby, I try and watch many different reviewers until I settle on a few that I feel are honest, genuine, and not in bed with the makers of the products they are reviewing. As soon as I hear "for full disclosure, XXX sent me (whatever) for evaluation..." my red flag radar immediately goes off.

Zeos seems to be (IMO) a very straight shooter. Love the frank, sometimes foul language, and very detailed way he reviews. I don't get the whole "Anime" thing, but I don't that that really matters. His reviews are still valid.

Honestly, it was his review of the 660's that made me decide "eh, why the **** not - I make enough money, I need another expensive hobby."
I like Zeos many times, but I have to be in the mood. But, virtually all the gear he reviews is sent to him. He has money in the game and if he gives a bad review he has to consider what will the future bring with that particular manufacture. Just saying

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 27
Fans of the old school HD600/650 tend to favour them over the new kid on the block simply because they sound more natural/neutral.
Folks who do not like neutrality or at the very least have complained about ‘forward mids’ ever since the release of the HD580..well a lot of those peeps really dig the 660.

Zeos can probably make or break a new headphone…but I’m afraid that says more about the peeps inhabiting the hobby than anything else:wink:

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 27
A perspective to consider when wondering why does someone pick (or not pick) headphone x for their collection is that once you get to a certain level of quality and overall presentation, improvements from upgrading to more expensive headphones reach the realm of diminishing returns. Every time I get the urge to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD650 headphones I spend some time playing with CanOpener Studio by Goodhertz (an excellent crossfeed plug-in) and Pro-Q 3 EQ by FabFilter (an excellent equalizer plug-in) on my Mac and the desire to spend money on new cans subsides. I do not intend to imply these are be-all-end-all solutions of any sort, but simply what I'm using at the moment to improve my satisfaction with three different headphones, all in the under $400 category, each used in a different listening context. Not to say that someday I might not indulge in a set of high-end headphones, but I've discovered that there's a lot of territories to explore in the digital signal processing (DSP) domain that provides an experience that may be as pleasurable, or possibly even more pleasurable than purchasing new transducers.

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #26 of 27
There is no point of the HD660S to exist. If you want a better headphone than the Sennheiser HD 650, there is the Sennheiser HD 800S.

The HD 650 is unique in the sense that is nearly impossible to make them sound bad. If you loose that property, then just grab the HD 800S instead.

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #27 of 27
There is no point of the HD660S to exist. If you want a better headphone than the Sennheiser HD 650, there is the Sennheiser HD 800S.

The HD 650 is unique in the sense that is nearly impossible to make them sound bad. If you loose that property, then just grab the HD 800S instead."There is no point of the HD660s to exist".

There is no point of the HD660S to exist. Really? Based on 8K+ posts on the 660s appreciation thread I would say many may disagree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back