Why no Grado cable mods?
Aug 27, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #16 of 24
I would mod the cables only because the stock ones get SO tangled when the cups keeps spinning around.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Replacing the plastic grill with something more permeable and damping the drivers with blu-tack or dynamat xtreme will do much more than a cable ever will, at a fraction of the price.

You are psychic. I just bought a pair of SR225 cups with the metal mesh from someone on the for sale forum and damped the drivers on my SR60s. The change for the better was like upgrading for me. This is what made me wonder about the lack of "my Grados were utterly transformed by cabling" type posts.

The bad thing is now instead of wanting a pair of 225s, I want a pair of RS1s.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 24
Yeah, the new Grado 8-conductor cable is excellent, if only the sleeving after the y-split were tighter to the conductors it would be perfect. The only cable mod I would contemplate would be totally cosmetic, i.e. copper wire with clear sleeving or a new plug.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #20 of 24
The only real reason I can see for a grado cable mod is to remove the bloody "Y" connector which can be a real pain, especially on older cans...

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 24
I've been trying to fit a HD600 jack on my SR-60i's for cable rolling, but so far attempts have gone badly.. I will update if I have better success.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 24
Someone made a Bluetooth SR60 a while back...I suppose that qualifies as a "cable mod". Interesting as novelty goes, but possibly a bit misguided.

@Justin Uthadude: I think the effects of simple mods like grills and damping are so extreme (to me, at least...made my SR225s 500% more listenable), any cable mod would just be disappointing.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Justin Uthadude: I think the effects of simple mods like grills and damping are so extreme (to me, at least...made my SR225s 500% more listenable), any cable mod would just be disappointing.

I'm guessing that you opened up the grilles (mind telling me with what?) and the blu-tak mod as seen in your sig. What where the effects, exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back