Why my 20 years old CD player sounds better than my Media Player?
Apr 18, 2010 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

realmassy

Headphoneus Supremus
I spent a few hours yesterday comparing my 20 years old cd player against my TEAC WAP 8200 (similar to the squeezeboz duet) AS TRANSPORT, both connected to the same DAC (a DACMagic borrowed from a friend).
I've used the optical output, the same CD ripped as FLAC, and the differences are remarkable: using the CD player as transport my K702 sound more dynamic, noticeably more dynamic, even with some Beethoven's piano trio.
Detail and resolution are in a different league, letting me hearing clearly some pizzicatos never heard before.
I have a Audio-GD Ref.5 coming the next week, and now I'm wondering if I'll manage to get the same quality using the new dac.
Any ideas or impressions? I really don't want to use the CD player again :frowning2:

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 18
it is difficult to get CDP quality digital out from a computer. The technology is just starting to come together, see the Hiface thread. Does the TEAC have a SMPS? Does it have a 44.1khz multiple clock? What type of regulation is used for the clock? I doubt that the Ref 5 will clean up the jitter enough for you to be happy with the TEAC. I'm not familiar with the TEAC, but many of the products similiar to it have been found to be expensive junk. I see no evidence that it is anywhere near the quality of a squeezebox, where did that come from?

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for your reply regal.
I used to own the squeezebox duet, before buying the TEAC. I compare them I found the optical out of the TEAC slightly better than the duet. But I did no comparison against the CD player used as transport.
So, what would you suggest? I don't want to use the CDs again: do you think "something" between the TEAC output and the DAC would improve the sound? Maybe an external master clock...

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply regal.
I used to own the squeezebox duet, before buying the TEAC. I compare them I found the optical out of the TEAC slightly better than the duet. But I did no comparison against the CD player used as transport.
So, what would you suggest? I don't want to use the CDs again: do you think "something" between the TEAC output and the DAC would improve the sound? Maybe an external master clock...

Swenson modified his sqeezebox to accept the DAC's master clock, but not all DAC's have masterclocks. I ordered a Hiface which I will battery power, this is probably the best solution at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes.

There is no magic jitter reduction box that can be put in between the TEAC and your DAC to make it as good as your CDP.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Thanks Regal.
The TEAC has no USB output (only optical), so the Hiface is not a choice in my case.

The Hiface is a transport, so you use it before your DAC it is USB-Coax out. I'm assuming you would sell the TEAC if you are getting the AudioGD.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 18
I'm missing something here :)
My idea is to use the TEAC feeding the Audio-GD dac, but I'm worried the CD player will still sound better.
I could use the Hiface if I'm going to use a PC/Mac, but I'm not entirely sure I want to go that way.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I spent a few hours yesterday comparing my 20 years old cd player against my TEAC WAP 8200 (similar to the squeezeboz duet) AS TRANSPORT, both connected to the same DAC (a DACMagic borrowed from a friend).
I've used the optical output, the same CD ripped as FLAC, and the differences are remarkable: using the CD player as transport my K702 sound more dynamic, noticeably more dynamic, even with some Beethoven's piano trio.
Detail and resolution are in a different league, letting me hearing clearly some pizzicatos never heard before.
I have a Audio-GD Ref.5 coming the next week, and now I'm wondering if I'll manage to get the same quality using the new dac.
Any ideas or impressions? I really don't want to use the CD player again :frowning2:

Take TEAK out, connect DACmagic to your comp via USB. Compare your CD player with what comes out of DacMagic using same redbook cd(files).
If it is better than your CD player means TEAC sucks somehow.
What comp are you using, which player? (Windows media player sucks big time in my experience) Maybe you just first try another player (Itunes, Foobar, etc).

And CD players (especially 20 years old) are not jitter free !
Good luck .

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take TEAK out, connect DACmagic to your comp via USB. Compare your CD player with what comes out of DacMagic using same redbook cd(files).
If it is better than your CD player means TEAC sucks somehow.
What comp are you using, which player? (Windows media player sucks big time in my experience) Maybe you just first try another player (Itunes, Foobar, etc).

And CD players (especially 20 years old) are not jitter free !
Good luck .

I'm not using any PC. I'm using this network media player: TEAC Europe GmbH: Features
The receiver has an optical output, connected to the DAC.
Anyway, I'll try to connect my laptop with Windows XP and Foobar with ASIO to the DAC (as soon as I get the Ref.5).

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I'm not using any PC. I'm using this network media player: TEAC Europe GmbH: Features
The receiver has an optical output, connected to the DAC.
Anyway, I'll try to connect my laptop with Windows XP and Foobar with ASIO to the DAC (as soon as I get the Ref.5).

You can do it with DacMagic. Looks like TEAK player or sth. else won't cut it ?

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 18
Hey Massi. When you get the Ref 5 in and check all the possible solutions please let me know what you decided to do. I for one don't want to have to go through the hassle of getting each CD out and then playing them on the Denon CD player but do sometimes just to see what the Denon sounds like. Once I get the new Ref 5 I may do it more though just to see how that sounds. I guess there is no easy solution. I have a digital out coax connection on my computer and it sounds just as good as using foobar to me but maybe my ears are just old, LOL. Blow wind Blow and clear up the air space so Massi can get his Ref 5. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back