Why lossless on portables?
Nov 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #196 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's a valid point even though i'm in the camp that it's completely placebo, but the use of lossless in a portable is pretty dumb simply because it wastes battery thus defeating the purpose of portable, don't even get me started on portable amps...

i actually converted my flac collection to 320k mp3, saves a ton of space and i detect no loss of quality. only a select few songs i might notice something is different but it's for a split second thus it's negligible.

Battery is not an issue since the most of the new players have at least 20+ hours battery life (compare that to the stuff that was few years back like discman). Portable amps are unnecessary for most of the earphones but some do required them to sound at they're best. If you actually can notice something even for a split of second it's still there. The fact that it doesn't disturb you doesn't mean it will not disturb be too. So i don't think it's dumb.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #197 of 262
Plus, for a lot of people, including me, there is no difference between a portable and home setup, because they (have to) use their iPod for listening to music at home, too, and therefore want to get the very best out of it by using lossless formats, a LOD and an amp.

I got to admit though that battery life with my iTouch 1G is rather unsatisfying when exclusively playing lossless music on it, i.e. about 6 hours.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #198 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortonjl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny, the first thing in your profile says apple lossless.

I play apple lossless from my laptop into an external dac/amp. That's in the profile too, although I guess it could be clearer.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #199 of 262
Quote:

Plus, for a lot of people, including me, there is no difference between a portable and home setup, because they (have to) use their iPod for listening to music at home, too, and therefore want to get the very best out of it by using lossless formats, a LOD and an amp.

Agreed. About the only time I get to listen to music is when my wife and I call it a night when I can lie in bed for an hour or so. A small player with a good quality set of earbuds is my only real option without annoying her too much.

The way I see it, give it a few more years and storage will be to the point where there just is no reason to have lossy period. All these encoder debates and who can hear what arguments should just be put to rest by a mass migration to lossless for everything. Storage and bandwidth is getting cheap enough where there just is no point not having CD quality audio all the time.

I'm not sure if I can tell a difference or not, but I hate wondering all the time if my music could be sounding a little better. With all the $$ people here spend on their audio systems, who wouldn't want the highest possible quality for their files, especially if it doesn't cost anything?

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #200 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what evidence do you offer for that? No offense, but that sounds like complete bunk.

And I think it was.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #202 of 262
yeah, but I assume if the processor in the Ipod can only handle 320Kbps Mp3s then the lossless files won't feel.. lossless

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #203 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick copy paste from: Apple - iPod classic - Technical Specifications
This c/p for the classic but check out the others too..

Audio

* Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
* Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
* User-configurable maximum volume limit

Enough?

No it isn't enough at all. All that means is that AAC is only supported up to 320kbps. NOTE that it SEPARATELY lists Apple Lossless as supported, and it is supported at all bit rates (apple lossless is inherently variable bit rate).

So I'm sorry, but you are confusing two totally different things. The iPod is 100% capable of full-rate Apple Lossless or even WAV playback.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #204 of 262
Quote:

yeah, but I assume if the processor in the Ipod can only handle 320Kbps Mp3s then the lossless files won't feel.. lossless

I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong - again, look at the specs! It SAYS RIGHT THERE it supports Apple Lossless. *FORGET* what it says about MP3 or AAC - they are totally different codecs and have NO BEARING on what the iPod does with Apple Lossless.

Again, I am not trying to be rude, but you are posting mis-information, and I can't let that go.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #205 of 262
Quote:

So have you ever seen any MP3 that has the bitrate higher than 320? MP3 and WAV are different formats. The iPod can play MP3 doesn't mean that it only play at maximum 320kbps.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #206 of 262
Ahh, Ok ok fair enough.. I'm VERY obviously still learning.
Thanks guys, Anyway I'm glad because I was saddened that I couldn't use my Wav's on the pod. Good.

(changed the post)

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #207 of 262
There must be some masochistic reason why I prefer to use lossless over 320kbps when I can't hear an audible difference. After all, It eats up the batteries much faster and takes up more space. I guess, deep inside, it makes me feel cool and superior over mp3 users. Additionally, it settles some insecure feelings of having unadequate sound quality, when I can have bigger, faster, better! ...I need to make some serious personal changes.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #208 of 262
Quote:

Ahh, Ok ok fair enough.. I'm VERY obviously still learning.
Thanks guys, Anyway I'm glad because I was saddened that I couldn't use my Wav's on the pod. Good.

(changed the post)

don't recent Apples play WAV?

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #209 of 262
Quote:

The 320kbps come up because the MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 standard don't go beyond 320kbps. The standard say:
* Bit rates -> 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160, 192, 224, 256 and 320 kbit/s
* Sampling frequencies -> 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz

So its probably not a limitation by the iPod hardware/software, but by the standards of the audio codec.
As a side note I have successfully played back a 1921kbps Apple Lossless file (24-bit /48kHz) on my 1G iPod nano.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #210 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't recent Apples play WAV?

Yeah (as i've recently learnt)
What I meant is that a few days ago when I thought that my Wav's were wasted I was sad. Now i'm happy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back