Why Litz braiding over other styles?
Sep 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a newb question about wire braiding. Is there an advantage braiding the wire like those in this post and this one versus braiding the wire like what is in this post? I'm guessing its litz braiding vs some other type of braiding... Does one braid carry signal better than the other?

Not really, no.

All else being equal, there would perhaps be some very slight differences in the cable's inductance and capacitance depending on the way it was braided and how it was terminated.

One advantage to braiding like that is that the wires are self-restraining so you don't have to put anything over them to keep them in place.

By the way, have you resolved your cable noise problem yet?

k

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 5
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

I don't think it's possible to do by hand. Those posts are perpetuating misinformation, and that's a problem for everyone. Who knows how many people read those and believed it? I'm afraid I may have been one of them, until I repeated their claims and looked stupid in front of somebody who actually knew better.

Imagine I made a cable and sold it claiming its made of pure silver. Then it turns out to be just a tinned copper wire. "Ah, but it looks like silver," I could say, "I was using silver in a different sense, that's all." Would anyone buy that?

No?

Well, those tutorials don't teach you how to make a litz braid.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 5
As above (S.E.) the only advantages to braiding over twisting are mechanical. The cable won't unwind itself. There are no advantages to Litz wire in hi-fi systems. And lots of assembly problems.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Ancient thread... but unfortunately Litz means some completely different things in audio. It covers:
  • A type of braid (typically 4 strand) which I believe originated on Jon Risch's audio page http://www.geocities.ws/jonrisch/c3.htm
  • Wiring which uses a variety of different strand sizes of wire, typically isolated with an enamel coating (Cardas is popular for this)
  • Wiring which uses the same sizes of wire strands, typically isolated with an enamel coating
...so it's not surprising that people are confused. The litz braid on Jon Risch's page would reject EMI/RFI to some extent the same way a twisted pair does, see https://www.researchgate.net/post/W...rangement_compensate_undesirable_disturbances
That being said, small signal wire rarely picks up interference, and an active shield would work better if EMI/RFI is a problem. Noise rejection is more relevant/important on primary and secondary windings from a transformer.

Regarding the other two definitions, you're correct that most people would not want to try and build this themselves. There are plenty of wire manufacturers that can provide you with "litz" wire to experiment with. Just note that if it is enameled, you'll need a solder pot or a hot iron to remove the coating from the metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back