Why listen to headphones if they aren't fun?
Mar 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

SilentxStatik24

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just wanted to call your attention to some things I have grown accustomed to while joining this kind forum. Now some people use headphones that are detailed, wide soundstaged and very REAL around this forum, and that is fine by me. But I need to clarify something, do you want headphones that aren't fun and exciting and instead want headphones that are extreme in detail. I personally have no appeal for the hd650 because of it's detail and cold sounding signature, and I instead use 'phones that have a warm sound that I can tap my foot to and not be worried if these headphones can be powered by my Zune. Now maybe some day I will hear the hd800 or the denon 5000, but for now I love being an audiophile on a budget. Thanks for your time and if anyone has any opinions on this subject, I would gladly love to hear them.
redface.gif

Silent.

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 25
Some people enjoy picking out every single detail and having a more accurate recreation rather than a colored or not as accurate sound.
I personally like warmer sounds but I also enjoyed my audition with the hd800 quite a bit earlier today.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
I personally have no appeal for the hd650 because of it's detail and cold sounding signature...

The HD650 is anything but a cold headphone. It certainly puts the music above the micro-details. I think what you mean to say is that you just find it uninvolving.

On another note however, I would say that any headphones are fair game as long as they can fulfill their intended purpose. This could range from enjoyment to analysis and studio work.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 25
Which food tastes the best?

See, there is no one answer. One man's trash is another man's treasure. What is fun to you may not be fun to someone else, and vice versa.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 25
"Fun" is a bit of a misnomer. "Fun" is usually designated as a headphone that has strong highs, strong bass, and very little mids (the V or U frequency response/signature). Most people have a lot of fun with that, but many others have more fun with detailed headphones, or neutral headphones.
And for something like classical, you're not dancing around tapping your foot, but you're more than engaged. I wouldn't call classical "fun" most of the time, but I would call it blissful.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 25
X2. Very well said.

"Fun" is a bit of a misnomer. "Fun" is usually designated as a headphone that has strong highs, strong bass, and very little mids (the V or U frequency response/signature). Most people have a lot of fun with that, but many others have more fun with detailed headphones, or neutral headphones.
And for something like classical, you're not dancing around tapping your foot, but you're more than engaged. I wouldn't call classical "fun" most of the time, but I would call it blissful.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

+1
The OP realized that the way a lot of people use the word 'fun' on head-fi is to describe a signature, and not as an adjective; yet started confusing himself into using it as an adjective in the question and throughout the post. This is about full-size, but when I had the iem-Triplefi 10 (more v-shaped), I was not having much 'fun' because the veiled mid was annoying me. Yet, the iem-Shure SE425 (more neutral) was a lot of 'fun' for me because I was actually enjoying my music. 

(Don't mean to be particularly critical toward the OP. It was just a general rant, just because I've seen people use the word 'fun' a lot when advising others on what kind of phones to get. I think it messes with people a little, because seriously who doesn't want to have 'fun'/or enjoy their music. But not everyone who is on head-fi automatically knows that the word fun is not being used adjectivally)

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Which food tastes the best?
See, there is no one answer. One man's trash is another man's treasure. What is fun to you may not be fun to someone else, and vice versa.

Wish more people here would figure this out.

It seems like every thread there is just "What headphone is best?" in it without explaining their preference or favorite genre.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 25
Yeah the HD-650 is much too cold and analytical. I don't want to put all my music under a microscope. It actually makes all my music 10X worse because it's so revealing. And hurts my ears.
The average listener is better off with a very warm and and lush sound like the DT-880 or SR-325i. Something that covers up recording flaws. The problem with that is that the sound is almost too smooth and relaxing. Not much treble to be found anywhere.

You'll probably fall asleep due to their signature, but that's not a bad thing. I've found with those they scale up with better gear. If you don't like them, you have a problem with your chain. I suggest silver.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
Yeah the HD-650 is much too cold and analytical. I don't want to put all my music under a microscope. It actually makes all my music 10X worse because it's so revealing. And hurts my ears.
The average listener is better off with a very warm and and lush sound like the DT-880 or SR-325i. Something that covers up recording flaws. The problem with that is that the sound is almost too smooth and relaxing. Not much treble to be found anywhere.

You'll probably fall asleep due to their signature, but that's not a bad thing. I've found with those they scale up with better gear. If you don't like them, you have a problem with your chain. I suggest silver.

Hahahaha, I can't stop laughing!

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
Hahahaha, I can't stop laughing!

Agreed. 

Back on topic, I feel like I just recently figured out what I REALLY want out of my headphones (after thinking I had it figured out a few times before, and I'm probably wrong again). The way it breaks down is I'll always need to own more than one set of 'phones. Right now I'm running a trifecta of a modified pair of Sony MDR-7506s (no drastic mods to the sound, all utility mods) as my all around/portable pair, the Sennheiser HD650 as my "I want to hear the details but close my eyes and get drawn into the music" pair, and my Grado SR80s as a fun pair for rocking out to SRV, Jimi, or My Morning Jacket. I feel like all of them have above-average detail, some more than others, but I enjoy listening to all of them in different ways and for different reasons. They all have their place. 

At the same time, I also realized how spoiled I am when it comes to headphones. Any of the 3 pairs I own are much nicer than anything any of my friends use. They're all satisfied with mass market headphones that most of us wouldn't use even if we didn't have anything else available. If they like them, that's what it's ultimately all about, so to each their own. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
The question I have is, why have uncomfortable headphones? Good sound shouldn't have to hurt!

I totally agree with this, but I also feel like good sound is worth some effort. :) 

I couldn't wear my SR80s for more than 20 minutes without ear pain so I messed around with the headband and washed/rinsed the ear pads a few times to soften them up. Overall it took me about a week to really get them to the point that they are now, but now I can wear them for hours and not even realize it because they're so light. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 25

Quote:

=383&graphID[]=853]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=383&graphID[]=853

Grados are actually known for having more treble than your average headphone. I know as far as price is concerned it's not a fair comparison, but I can personally state that the treble on my SR80s is much more pronounced than it is on my Sennheiser HD650s. The 650s are widely known as warm, pleasant headphones that are purposely less detailed than their sibling, the HD600. The treble is slightly rolled off to give them a more smooth, warm presentation. Sennheiser even alludes to it in the manual, stating that the 650 is designed for feeling the music as opposed to analyzing it. What you're saying goes against everything that I've both heard and experienced personally from the HD650 or Grado headphones. Do you, or have you, owned the HD650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back