Why line out?
Nov 18, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
you guys just confused the heck outta me...lol. (not that I knew much about amps in the first place)
Isnt there ONLY a headphone ajck on an IPOD, where exactly is there a "line-out"?? Thta may seem like an incredibly stupid question to many of you;please be patient with me
blink.gif

Im assuming that the plug that goes from the amp to your source should go in a "line-out" jack?
I only have a "line-out" on my laptop, not on my Ipod or stereo...what am I missing here?

At the bottom of the ipod(same spot used for charging/transfers). You access the line out with a Sik Din or pocketdock.

IMG_1824-thumb.jpg

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

you guys just confused the heck outta me...lol. (not that I knew much about amps in the first place)
Isnt there ONLY a headphone ajck on an IPOD, where exactly is there a "line-out"?? Thta may seem like an incredibly stupid question to many of you;please be patient with me
blink.gif

Im assuming that the plug that goes from the amp to your source should go in a "line-out" jack?
I only have a "line-out" on my laptop, not on my Ipod or stereo...what am I missing here?

The iPod can provide a line out signal to headphone amps and powered speakers through the dock connector at the bottom. This is how the audio signal gets to those 'iPod-only' speakers made by JBL and Bose. You can use the Sik Ram Din adaptor that plugs into the dock connector, and provides a line-out output through a mini jack. You would then connect this analog line-out to your amplifier.

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Put it this way -- when you have headphones plugged directly into a portable player, the headphones + player form a single circuit that often has deficiencies like distortion.

If you plug in an amp instead, all the power needed to drive the headphones is coming from the amp rather than the player. In other words, the "single circuit" here is amp + headphones, and the player is acting only to supply a signal -- in a sense it's out of the loop, except for the initial signal it supplies to the amp.

Oversimplified and not quite correct, but hope that helps conceptualize the whole thing.

P.S. that's not to say you couldn't get an even better sound using line-out (if there is one)... normally you can, but it depends on how the line-out is implemented. If it's implemented poorly, it could sound identical to the headphone-out jack with an amp plugged in.

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 22
THNX guys, the picture cleared it all up.
Now, can I use that SIK to get a line out to my stereo? Or is it only used for headphones??
While I have your attention, do I really need an for the HF-1 (should have it next week!)
If so, pa2v2 or go-vibe?
Whats the difference between the two?
Thanx for the help!

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #20 of 22
When you amp the headphone out, is it better to have the volume turned up, down, or at 50% on the portable player?

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
When you amp the headphone out, is it better to have the volume turned up, down, or at 50% on the portable player?

In most cases you'd want it turned up all the way (better signal to noise ratio). There's a slight potential for damaging an amp this way, but in practice I've never seen an amp damaged. There's also a chance some circuits could distort when turned up all the way, so listen for that and turn it down if it does.

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey

I keep it turned up to maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back