Why K701 seems to be more power hungry...
Jun 5, 2007 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sieg9198

100+ Head-Fier
HD650 stated 300ohm, and it requires a very good amp to come alive.

K701, although stated as 62ohm, from all the review, why am I feeling that it needs more power and a greater amp to come alive
confused.gif

I'm worried if the Hornet cant drive them to at least 70% of their full potential...

anyone can shed some light to this??

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 11
The K701 are indeed hard to drive. I've never listened to them amped by the Hornet, but i think they will drive the K701 well (can't garantee though) based on hornet reviews i've read so far ...

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 11
I was listening to HD580's that I borrowed and when I swapped it with the K701's, I had to up the volume. I thought I would have to lower it, but oh well. =T

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 stated 300ohm, and it requires a very good amp to come alive.

K701, although stated as 62ohm, from all the review, why am I feeling that it needs more power and a greater amp to come alive
confused.gif

I'm worried if the Hornet cant drive them to at least 70% of their full potential...

anyone can shed some light to this??

This is a French member using a K701 with a RSA Hornet, you can contact him for more informations at this forum.
Hornet/K701 seems look great.
http://forum.generationmp3.com/Armitage-m27990.html
For me I use a C&C XO and it's great.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Generally speaking, the lower the impedance is, the higher the amount of current is required, and lower the amount of voltage swing is needed to achieve enough volume. The higher the impedance, the lower the amount of current is required, but it needs more voltage swing to maintain the same volume.

The K701 numbers wise is low impedance and has low sensitivity. Therefore, it requires lots of current due to the low impedance and lots of voltage swing to knock it into gear due to its low sensitivity. Same idea with the K1000's but more extreme, a la Patrick style (jk
tongue.gif
)

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 11
have the same question. what about tube amps?

any suggestion? (budget ~400/500$)

Cheers!

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using an SR71 with the K701 and it sounds properly amplified.

Then I suppose Hornet wouldnt be a problem either, right
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally speaking, the lower the impedance is, the higher the amount of current is required, and lower the amount of voltage swing is needed to achieve enough volume. The higher the impedance, the lower the amount of current is required, but it needs more voltage swing to maintain the same volume.

The K701 numbers wise is low impedance and has low sensitivity. Therefore, it requires lots of current due to the low impedance and lots of voltage swing to knock it into gear due to its low sensitivity. Same idea with the K1000's but more extreme, a la Patrick style (jk
tongue.gif
)

Nice explanation, that clears up so many things for me. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back