Why it's time to ban "Outside"
Sep 5, 2004 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes, I've seen this suggestion come up more than once before. Even so, I think the time is right to press the issue again.

I am prompted to make the request, not for my own sake, but for the sake of the head-fi community.

Headphones/audio is a hobby and, by definition, a hobby is an activity we pursue outside our normal work for the purpose of pleasure. Head-fi affords us the chance to interact with other, like-minded individuals. We learn, of course, through the help of these other individuals. But as important, we form friendships, at least to the degree that that is possible in a virtual world.

And then there is the Outside forum. It serves no purpose whatever related to the hobby. But that alone would be insufficient of itself to disable it.

The Outside Forum should be disabled because it operates against one of the core strengths of head-fi. That strength? Head-fi, unlike so many other forums, is a place characterized by its supportiveness and civility.

Unfortunately, that can only occasionally be said about the Outside section of head-fi. With seeming increasing frequency, it is a forum for some individuals to engage in attacks - attacks not only against points of view with which they disagree but personal attacks on other members. I have read with great disappointment vitriolic, mean-spirited posts whose principal purpose is less to pursuade and more to belittle and smear fellow head-fi'ers and their beliefs. While the moderators have been quick to address the most egregious attacks, it is impossible to "unring a bell" - an attack, once having been made, can inflict damage that a subsequent warning is incapable of repairing.

If a lack of civility reigns in one quarter of this site, it necessarily operates against that core strength. Worse yet, it carries with it the risk of infecting other sections (or, at least, in poisoning relationships).

If the past few weeks are any indication, the campaign for President promises to be among the most brutal in our history as both candidates attempt to bludgeon the opponent into submission.

Let head-fi be a place of calm refuge from that brutality.

Sep 5, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 95
Reading the Outside forum was aggravating me too much so I had the moderators ban my account from reading or posting there. You could try that, if no one goes for your idea.

Sep 5, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 95
I'm not wise enough to know if banning TIO is right or wrong.

But I'm wise enough to try to ban myself from participating...yet again.

I come out of there feeling like a remorseful drunk the morning after.
frown.gif

Sep 5, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 95
Firtst CI, and now people want Outside gone? I agree that it's gotten crazy lately (I don't post much, but do read), but I think it should be left alone. It is the "Outside" forum after all.

Sep 5, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 95
Kirosia - do you think that, even given the fact that it's an "outside" section, it nevertheless presents a risk to the community at large?

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 95
I just had the mods ban me from outside and things are pretty sweet now
cool.gif

I've never had this much fun being back with the real issues : Audio and a few tame issues in the Member's Lounge.

Get yourself BANNED from OUTSIDE and live in peace.

Advantages :-

* You will not see any threads or posts from the outside forums
* You will not be aware of the nonsense being spewed back and forth
* Your opinion of the members will be based solely on what they say in the relevant forums
* You will preserve your sanity, right to individual thought and action

Join TEAM BAN OUTSIDE!!!
eek.gif

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 95
No offense, but do you have that little self-control that you have to have someone else ban you from a forum? I see crap come up all the time that I have a strong opinion about, but I usually end up ignoring it, because I know it'll eventually turn into a flame war, and no one will gain anything from it.

That being said, I don't think Outside should be banned. Everyone has an opinion, and every forum, no matter what the main subject, should have a General Discussion and Opinion forum. Am I angry with certain members of this forum, because they disagreed with me? Not at all. I still think they're wrong, but I'm sure they feel likewise. I really hope no one stops trusting another member in the audio forums because of a certain conviction they may hold. That's just ludicrous. You're going to have conflicts with people in life, and often times, people that you have to be around quite a bit, i.e. family or co-workers. If you can't manage to co-exist with these people just because you don't see eye to eye on certain subjects, well, that's quite sad.

My $0.02, anyway.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 95
IMO the outside forum does not present any risk to our head-fi community. I doubt that it leads to any permanent hard feelings among members, while it does offer an occasional distraction from our otherwise favorite topics. And, since self sensorship is an available option, those who are distressed by other members' disagreements can can protect themselves from becoming aware of such disagreements.

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
No offense, but do you have that little self-control that you have to have someone else ban you from a forum?

I dont unfortunately. I like a good fight and I cannot resist. (member of fight club
tongue.gif
)

Quote:

That being said, I don't think Outside should be banned

NO - NO
eek.gif
Dont ban outside itself...just ban yourself from it if you want to...like I did...
wink.gif

Quote:

I really hope no one stops trusting another member in the audio forums because of a certain conviction they may hold. That's just ludicrous. You're going to have conflicts with people in life, and often times, people that you have to be around quite a bit, i.e. family or co-workers. If you can't manage to co-exist with these people just because you don't see eye to eye on certain subjects, well, that's quite sad

Yes - it is sad but true. There are members here on my ignore list simply because of the things they said in Outside. If someone can think the way these people did - I dont want to have anything to do with them no matter how brilliant they may be when it comes to audio.

Am I flawed? Good...at least i'll be happily flawed and wont have to add too many more people to my ignore list. ignorance is bliss when you dont know any more than you need to - which is a good thing in this case.

I dont want to know your political slants, opinions on world issues, opinion on homosexuals, etc. Tell me what sounds good, be nice to me and we can get along.

I think the bad health in the outside forums could spill over very easily and cause problems on the main forums, at HeadFi meets etc.

Cheers!

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 95
Yes; when I posted the bit about not banning Outside, I was referring to the original poster, who feels that way.

As for your thoughts, well, I can definitely see your point of view. I mean, I've definitely come to a couple opinions of certain members (won't name any names, but for your sake, no, you're not one of 'em... might be good to stay away from Outside, I guess) due to arguments I've had in Outside. I still respect their views in the audio forums, but you're right, there is some tension.

On a somewhat related subject, there's also people like Garf, for anyone who visits HA's forums. Brilliant guy, and has done wonders for Ogg Vorbis, but a real jerk, and I'm just talking about the normal audio forums. I don't even know if HA has a Outside-esque forum...

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 95
Stephonovich - perhaps I didn't make myself as clear as I should have. The Outside shouldn't be banned because it engenders disagreements or even anger. I would suggest, however, that the ad hominem attacks that frequently prevail could have a negative impact on head-fi.

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Kirosia - do you think that, even given the fact that it's an "outside" section, it nevertheless presents a risk to the community at large?

I really don't know to be honest. I'm pretty sure most head-fiers don't even go there. I usually seem the same people. Some of the threads there are starting to become personal attacks against others and endless debates that go nowhere. But I don't really see how it's hurts the community, people are just expressing their views, even if many don't agree with them. I'm in no place to judge or decide, let the mods take care of things if they see it has become a real problem. I bow out for now.
cool.gif

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Stephonovich - perhaps I didn't make myself as clear as I should have. The Outside shouldn't be banned because it engenders disagreements or even anger. I would suggest, however, that the ad hominem attacks that frequently prevail could have a negative impact on head-fi.

Ah. Yes, I agree with you on that. Personal attacks generally lead to discord and/or feelings of resentment among members. And due to the impersonal and anonymous properties of a forum, people usually don't try to resolve differences, and end up just harboring a grudge against that person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back