Why isn't anyone giving me headphones in my price range?
Dec 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

urban maverick

New Head-Fier
So this is not me complaining but I have posted several threads looking for help trying to find a closed overhead pair of cans that have good base and durability for ~$400. When I do get a response it is usually recommending a pair of cans $150 under my budget. On one of the replies I received, it stated that once you get into the mid range headphones that your choice should be based on your preferred sound signature rather than quality of sound. I don't know how true this is, but would that be why people are recommending me such low priced headphones? Maybe there is just no headphones to my suiting at $400? Obviously I'm missing something so it would be really helpful to get some advice on this matter.

Sorry if this sounded snarky in any way. I was trying to keep this as neutral as possible. Anyways thanks for the help!

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 18
Well, I can only tell you why I didn't respond. In one of you posts from a couple of days ago, you said:

Finally this isn't my first rodeo so let me introduce to the headphone graveyard (cans I already dismissed)

B&O 06
Bowers & Wilkins P7
Mad Dog Pro's
MDR 1R (not the new MDR 1A though)
Sennheiser Momentum

OK, so you have already dismissed the headphones I would have recommended: Mad Dog Pros. OK, I'm not really a heavy bass guy, so I guess I have nothing to offer to you.

Now, if I have to guess on some other reasons why you didn't get more responses, I might guess that it is because this forum gets dozens of posts a day from people looking for heavy bass headphones for EDM, Hip-Hop & Rap. The same things are almost always said, depending on the price range: Vmoda M100, Beyer DT770, Mad Dog Pros, ATH-M50X, Beats Solo 2, etc. In many of the cases, the OP comes back and says they weren't bassy enough.

We do the best we can...

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 18
  When I do get a response it is usually recommending a pair of cans $150 under my budget. 

Because most new headphones are over-priced.

I've pretty much surrendered to buying 2nd-hand from now on or waiting a few years until prices go down on something I like, and often suggest headphones that I think offer better value for money with the thread starters' preferences in mind.

If you just want to drop $400 on a headphone so you can wear it like jewellery, then I won't judge, but then make that an important requirement.
I think headphones are used as a 'status symbol' of some level of wealth or to show others 'I'm serious about music and want to show off my style' but I never see anyone mentioning this as an important requirement for their purchase... 
rolleyes.gif

(not to be 'snarky' either, I honestly think it's a valid point that isn't addressed enough.. probably for fear of being called out... this is the internet after all)

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 18
I'll happily sell you my PX100II's for $400.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 18
  So this is not me complaining but I have posted several threads looking for help trying to find a closed overhead pair of cans that have good base and durability for ~$400. When I do get a response it is usually recommending a pair of cans $150 under my budget. 

Normally we take "around (price)" to also mean "up to" (of course that excludes anything with a too low price). Maybe the improvements aren't a lot. Or maybe nothing with your criterias are available closer to your price range.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 18
  So this is not me complaining but I have posted several threads looking for help trying to find a closed overhead pair of cans that have good base and durability for ~$400. When I do get a response it is usually recommending a pair of cans $150 under my budget. On one of the replies I received, it stated that once you get into the mid range headphones that your choice should be based on your preferred sound signature rather than quality of sound. I don't know how true this is, but would that be why people are recommending me such low priced headphones? Maybe there is just no headphones to my suiting at $400? Obviously I'm missing something so it would be really helpful to get some advice on this matter.

Sorry if this sounded snarky in any way. I was trying to keep this as neutral as possible. Anyways thanks for the help!

Price doesn't mean that much...

A lot of people prefer K701 over Grados that cost 5 times AKG's price.
DT880s over T90
HD600 over HD700
HE500 over HD800

You might be interested in:
-Yamaha Pro 500
-Shure SRH 1540

Best Luck!

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 18

DT880s over T90
HD600 over HD700
HE500 over HD800

Amen.

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 18
"Why isn't anyone giving me headphones in my price range?" Because they don't want to spend $400 on a gift.
floatsmile.png

Here are a few to research and see which would best suit you:

Focal Spirit Professional
HiFiMAN HE-400 / HE-4
JVC HA-SZ2000
V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 18

Opening a new thread to complain that you aren't getting good advice on another thread is pointless. Best to keep it all together.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 18
JVC SZ2000's and Fiio E12 or Cayin C5. Bass you won't find anywhere else, I'm told.

Just check out some of the basshead threads.

There aren't many options really between $300 and $1000 in the grand scheme of things, so seeing cans priced at $250-300 makes a lot of sense. I've been on these forums a while- and I can tell you that I don't know of anything priced at $400 really, and price doesn't mean much! Trust the recommendations given, and try to keep your threads together. It's hard to give advice when all the pertinent info is spread over many threads!

Feel free to keep asking questions - just keep them in this thread if its related to your quest for these cans, or you can always shoot me a PM.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 18

Opening a new thread to complain that you aren't getting good advice on another thread is pointless. Best to keep it all together.

I knew this comment would come up. So basically my title is atrocious, but I was trying to convey that I was having trouble communicating with the community. Since posting this I now understand what I was doing wrong and am grateful for the people that actually went through my history to find my errors; However I don't regret opening this thread as they have helped be a better part of the community.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 18

DT880s over T90
HD600 over HD700
HE500 over HD800

You might be interested in:
-Yamaha Pro 500
-Shure SRH 1540

Best Luck!

Yah this is what I suspected. Kind of counter intuitive since my last buy was in the introduction level price range. Also thanks for the suggestions!

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 18
  "Why isn't anyone giving me headphones in my price range?" Because they don't want to spend $400 on a gift.
floatsmile.png

Here are a few to research and see which would best suit you:

Focal Spirit Professional
HiFiMAN HE-400 / HE-4
JVC HA-SZ2000
V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Wow thanks a lot for doing all that digging and research. I actually haven't considered the JVC's yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back