Why is there practically no difference between my Perreaux and receiver out?
Mar 14, 2005 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

daveman_84

100+ Head-Fier
I got my Perreaux SHX 0.5 yesterday, and hooked her up to the line out on my receiver. Sounds good, but after A/B'ing it with the regular phone jack on the receiver, there's pretty much no difference to my ears. If it is, it's extremely slight. What am I missing? I feel like it's not worth it to keep the amp if this is the case. Any thoughts?

Mar 14, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveman_84
I got my Perreaux SHX 0.5 yesterday, and hooked her up to the line out on my receiver. Sounds good, but after A/B'ing it with the regular phone jack on the receiver, there's pretty much no difference to my ears. If it is, it's extremely slight. What am I missing? I feel like it's not worth it to keep the amp if this is the case. Any thoughts?

I had this same experience when I first got my sr-71 with the 325i's. I even contemplated selling it. But several headfi'rs talked me out of it. Now, when I am not using the amp I can tell something is missing. It's instrument separation and detail. It's not a night and day difference...which I think most people are expecting when they pick up their first amp...but once you get used to it...it's hard to live without it.

Mar 14, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveman_84

Listen with the Perreaux exclusively for a week or so then listen for a day or two without . If the hopefully apparent differences don't warrant keeping it then sell it or return it. Often the anticipation of getting an amp after beaucoup research is overwhelming and expectations are too high.

Your Perreaux is supposed to be a really nice piece. You need to learn to listen with it . Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 8
You may want to try and hook up your source directly to the Perreaux, without the receiver and see if that helps.

Mar 15, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 8
Why dont you hear a big difference? Because there isnt one to be heard thats why.

I too am in the same boat as you, except I have owned 6 amps including your Perreaux, and have done just as headfiers suggest, live with it a while then try the receiver / amp again, unfortunately for me, that was when I discovered I preferred the receiver / amp.

Unless you plan on embarking to the high end stuff, if you dont hear a difference, flog the Perreaux, save your money and enjoy your music is my advice.

Mar 15, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 8
I agree with the sentiments here. Listen and if its not better sell it or return it if you can.

I bought a Perreaux and listened exhaustively for about ten hours (from memory I let it run overnight to aid burn in). Sure it could have had a longer burn in but it just didn't cut it compared to my headphone out from my NAD surround amp. There was insufficient bass impact for me and that was with MS-pros!!! There was no discernable difference in any other frequency range.

Returing it was the best thing I ever did. I auditioned the Talisman T-3H and thought it better. On hooking it up at home it was like night and day to my NAD reciever. Clarity, detail, upper treble, bass tighness and impact all better by a significant amount. Something the Perreaux failed to deliver. The Talisman was dearer and worth every cent.

Some amps are worth it. Some not.

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back