Why is there no really good sounding portable
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Posts
1,065
Likes
11
I wish someone would make a really good soundin portable. I see archos is making these 160gb players and stuff for 400. Why cant they make an audiophile player with 160 for say 600. I would buy that.

Everybody mentions the kenwood as being it, but I own it and it is still nothing better than just decent. Why mention the kenwood as audiophile when the zune sounds almost as good? The ipods are even worst and they are selling. The clix sounds up with the best too, but its still rather dissapointing..

Is there an audiophile player i dont know about. Neuros audio was supposed to invent one but i dont know what happened
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 37

luidge

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Posts
1,421
Likes
11
Did you tried the optical out of the H140. I will try mine as soon as i can power up my player with an adapter. Right now it is juiceless so i can't try. But people have said that they sound GREAT. Maybe that would be a good starting point for you. Until you want great portability too.
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 37

lhooq

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Posts
3
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you tried the optical out of the H140. I will try mine as soon as i can power up my player with an adapter. Right now it is juiceless so i can't try. But people have said that they sound GREAT. Maybe that would be a good starting point for you. Until you want great portability too.


It might have something to do with consumers wanting more features for less money and longer battery life, so skimp on the components used and not giving the amp enough headroom due to low power requirements.
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 37

jersey_emt

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Posts
219
Likes
10
80GB 5.5G iMod?
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 37

eduj

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Posts
1,101
Likes
15
Quote:

Why is there no really good sounding portable?


Because the vast majority of people don't care about sound quality.They just want smth small,cute with long battery life and thats all.Few people even bother to get aftermarket earphones,they all use 2$ 'buds.Same reason you don't see SACDs from Shakira or Evanescene.Joe Six Pack just don't care.
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 37

porieux

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 25, 2001
Posts
7
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish someone would make a really good soundin portable. I see archos is making these 160gb players and stuff for 400. Why cant they make an audiophile player with 160 for say 600. I would buy that.

Everybody mentions the kenwood as being it, but I own it and it is still nothing better than just decent. Why mention the kenwood as audiophile when the zune sounds almost as good? The ipods are even worst and they are selling. The clix sounds up with the best too, but its still rather dissapointing..

Is there an audiophile player i dont know about. Neuros audio was supposed to invent one but i dont know what happened



The iPod classic sounds pretty damn good...when it is not crashing.
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 37

RickB

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Posts
3,247
Likes
8,238
Location
United States
Quote:

Originally Posted by porieux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod classic sounds pretty damn good...when it is not crashing.


Granted...IMO the Classic sounds as good as the Zune I used to own did. The only difference is the Classic is bright whereas the Zune was warm...

Rick
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 37

manaox2

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 27, 2007
Posts
2,754
Likes
18
Better yet, why don't people consider the iMod a portable player? I see people exclude it almost every time, but I think it is definitely audiophile worthy. I think the H140 and iBasso D1 is also a very competitive candidate for this position.

Really, lets be honest, what more could you want and reasonably expect from these two? They have the storage and about the most quality we currently can produce from a device so small. They have high-end DACs and the best amps you can ask for almost when powered by battery and shrunk down. I don't really know what more you are asking for. I personally want the pacemaker when it comes out. I think thats all you can reasonably ask for in one player.
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 37

Amblin

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 17, 2007
Posts
388
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better yet, why don't people consider the iMod a portable player? I see people exclude it almost every time...


Granted, an iMod might sound excellent considering all the praise it recives, it might not, because the iPod also gets a lot of praise for its SQ....heh.... but I, and, albeit, a lot of other people dont find it practical to lug around a $450 modified iPod along with a LOD, amp and finally, a large pair of cans.
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 37

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Posts
4,463
Likes
66
I was thinking same about todays portable audio and pc market. So i think it's hard to get best sound quality from DAPs(alone) under $$$$. Hope some DAPs ..... will care about this small community who realy care about sound quality.
 
Sep 26, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 37

BassheadJazz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Posts
269
Likes
0
Could always get a bunch of head-fiers together and other audiophiles and make a proposal to a company willing or do it ourselves. Just a thought.

Anyway, as some have already mentioned, most folks don't really care much about SQ, as long as it's relatively decent. And when you consider the emphasis on battery life, it's not surprising that companies focus more on performance in terms of battery, etc. than in terms of SQ.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top