Why is the name JOHN often referred to as JACK?
Jun 22, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Radio Nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Occasionally, I hear people named John referred to as 'Jack'? What's the dealio on that? I always thought John and Jack are two different names.

Maybe on Mars Jack and John are interchangeable?

But here on planet Earth, I always thought they were two completely different names...

My name is Larry, but you can call me Fred.

blink.gif

I suppose it is possible that you have run into a couple of people who are named "John" with a middle name of "Jack", sometimes first and middle names are interchangeable.

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 10
Jack is indeed a nickname for John.

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:

Although it may appear at first glance to be derived from the French Jacques—which is cognate with the names James and Jacob—native speakers of English would almost certainly associate the name "Jack" with "John," rarely with "Jacob," and probably never with "James."

Rather, it is believed that "Jack" is the result of adding the French diminutive suffix "-kin" (much like the German "-chen") to the name "Jean," which is the French form of the English "John", or "Jan," which is a shortening of the German "Johann."

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 10
You only have to go back a few decades and it was relatively often used nickname for the other. I know a couple 60ish year olds. Go here and type 'jack'.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 10
John F. Kennedy was often referred to as Jack Kennedy. I also don't see how you get Dick from the name Richard, or Bob from Robert.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lt. Col. Frank Slade: Clear them little bottles off. And when I get off the phone here, call up Hyman and tell him I want it wall to wall with John Daniels.
Charlie Simms: Don't you mean Jack Daniels?
Lt. Col. Frank Slade: He may be Jack to you son, but when you've known him as long as I have...

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John F. Kennedy was often referred to as Jack Kennedy. I also don't see how you get Dick from the name Richard, or Bob from Robert.

my favorite richard name is "Dick Nixon"

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 10
And let's not forget Bill for William
wink.gif

Yep, informal nick names...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back