Why is the ipod even a viable option with its sound quality...
Feb 24, 2005 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, before I get bashed, I'm just wondering why, in a forum like this especially, based more on sound quality, the ipod is even considred when choosing a dap. Personally, I bought a Zen two years ago because I had heard it had the better sound quality of players available, and after testing out various players, I fully agreed. Now, I understand what pulls people to the pod, but at the same time, the sound quality just isn't great. I guess it's just that most casual listeners don't care. I mean, if they improved the sq I'd be the first to go buy a pod, but until then, I just can't even consider buying one, which sucks cause there are a lot of things I like about it. So, finally, on a site based on sound quality, why are so many people buying pods here?

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 87
because it offers what most of us looks for in a DAP. it accepts most codecs, has probably the best GUI, and offers a true line-out, home or portable based. i'm sure there are other players that sound better than the iPod (via headphone jack), but most of us here dont bother and just use the line-out with an portable amp.

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 87
i dont understand how they continue to manufacture sell a product with such an obvious flaw as the eq. (seriously, people dont notice that when you put on bass boost it distorts?!?!) i guess it is because people are buying them...but yes..why people here love it surprise to me as well...considering the amazing eqs on irivers, creative's, and iaudio, to name a few... (this coming from the hugest mac geek/addict of them all..ive had 6 different macs and 2 different ipods 2nd G and 4th g...but im an iriver/iaudio fan)

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 87
I recently ordered a Zen Touch because of doubts about the Ipod's sound quality, but I just listened to a friends Ipod Mini using my E2s, and it sounded pretty good actually. A little bit bright sounding but I wouldn't say noticeably inferior compared to my recently-broken Karma.

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 87
Maybe because it's only your opinion that the sound quality is not on par with the others. There are many people on this forum who use the iPod through the headphone jack and are quite pleased. Just because you find there are players with better SQ, doesn't mean everyone else has to as well. After all, it's only your opinion that the SQ isn't good, right?

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 87
the thing is I don't want to buy an amp for my mp3 player if I want it to be small so I like when things are built in screw buying all these accessories.
But then again I don't really mind it's sq I think they sound pretty good there are better sounding DAP's out there though

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 87
Because everyone else has one.
Because of the massive advertising campaign.
Because it's cool.
Because non ipod's aren't cool.
Because celebrites are seen with them.
Because Bush owns one..and if you don't own one you're a terrorist
Because ipod is the only player that exists
....and if one comes out the ipod is better. Even if it isn't.

biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
Because everyone else has one.
Because of the massive advertising campaign.
Because it's cool.
Because non ipod's aren't cool.
Because celebrites are seen with them.
Because Bush owns one..and if you don't own one you're a terrorist
Because ipod is the only player that exists
....and if one comes out the ipod is better. Even if it isn't.

biggrin.gif

BOOOO!
bush owns one
580smile.gif
call me a terrorist.
the sad thing is that all of those are true

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 87
Style. Style is everything. Most of the others either look like DIY projects or blue plastic pieces of junk from China.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 87
What exactly is your complaint with the SQ? If it's 'bass doesn't sound like a subwoofer' we've heard that one before. Many people here consider the iPod to have better SQ than all of the alternatives.

jesse

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Style. Style is everything. Most of the others either look like DIY projects or blue plastic pieces of junk from China.

would you say that about the zen micro or iriver H10?
blink.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 87
I've tested a couple of hundred players at this point, literally, and I wouldn't agree that the iPod has average or below average sound quality. It's a little "flatter" than some people like, but that's not the same thing as "bad". Sound quality is pretty good actually, all things considered. Now if you just want to zone out to some block rockin' beats, you might want to look elsewhere, only because the iPod doesn't have much in the way of DSP effects or EQ settings that contribute the impression of sweeter, fuller sound on other players. imo.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 87
...and haven't we had enough of these flamebait Coke vs. Pepsi threads lately? Why doesn't everyone pop open a Capri Sun, munch on a Hot Pocket and calm down.

You've been a member here since October, so you should know the plethora of reasons why iPod owners own iPods and those who don't own iPods don't own them. SQ is a matter of preference; there are people who will tell you that each of the well-known players have THE BEST sound.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 87
As for the difference in sound quality, the Creative players have, in my opinion, always sounded cleaner, smoother, less "fuzzy." I'm not saying that the ipod has bad sq at all, just that I guess I've heard what I like, and then listening to an ipod for a while, my brain is constantly saying, this doesnt sound as crystal clear and clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back