Why is the Fiio M15 dropping so rapidly in price?
Sep 8, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #16 of 33
You are missing the point. It's still a Fiio player. That's not going to change and they are going to loose a lot of resale value.

The m9 can be had for 150.00 or as little as 100.00. So no your numbers are off. You need to look at forums and reddit equipment sales as well and not just ebay current listing that are not selling.

Sep 9, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 33
Thank you Chief, and yes you are right, there are many places besides ebay and similar 3rd party/used mediums to find these devices. Thank you for paying such extra attention to this particular topic, you always respond quickly and eagerly.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #18 of 33
Yes, the Fiio M11 Plus Ltd was released with a retail price of $749.00. So yes, in 1 year its value had dropped about $250., if not less. The Fiio M15 was Fiio's first foray into the high end DAP price target to complete with Astell Kern. Before this, Fiio had never charged $1300 for a DAP before this device was introduced in Dec 2019.

The Fiio M9 has held up pretty well on the resale market; it originally sold for $299 released in Sept 2018. And the value on the resale market is either exactly that amount or more. It seems to be a harder to find Fiio DAP as will, compared to the others.
It's all about timing and availability...Just checked eBay and there are 4 for sale as of today priced from $740-1080.

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #19 of 33
I wonder how long until the the Astell and Kern SP2000 drops now the the SP3000 has been announced. $4000 for a audio player; they keep upping the anti. But even on thier super low priced products like the Activo10 and Activo 15, you can really see that whatever that Teratron technology they have is really making mediocre products even better.

My M15 I have no regrets about buying for $1300 on eBay; at the time it was still up in the air about when AKM would start shop again, and this was before Shanling came out with the M9 at twice the retail price. The M15 is a beautiful monolithic device, and though it lacks the THX technology of it predecessors, The M11 clustermuck of variations, i think it’s the best dap FiiO ever made; though the FiiO M9 had a beautiful smaller form factor which I preferred. The m17 is a bit too much for me not just in terms of price but the thing is a beast; not aestically pleasing in my opinion and way too big, and plus it has the ESS DAC which I do not like. AKM is coming out with new flagship Dacs debuting on the SP3000, but if i ever decide to upgrade my M15 it would only be for the SP2000, but I have a feeling that one will remain about $2k even on the used market.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #20 of 33
I wonder how long until the the Astell and Kern SP2000 drops now the the SP3000 has been announced. $4000 for a audio player; they keep upping the anti. But even on thier super low priced products like the Activo10 and Activo 15, you can really see that whatever that Teratron technology they have is really making mediocre products even better.

My M15 I have no regrets about buying for $1300 on eBay; at the time it was still up in the air about when AKM would start shop again, and this was before Shanling came out with the M9 at twice the retail price. The M15 is a beautiful monolithic device, and though it lacks the THX technology of it predecessors, The M11 clustermuck of variations, i think it’s the best dap FiiO ever made; though the FiiO M9 had a beautiful smaller form factor which I preferred. The m17 is a bit too much for me not just in terms of price but the thing is a beast; not aestically pleasing in my opinion and way too big, and plus it has the ESS DAC which I do not like. AKM is coming out with new flagship Dacs debuting on the SP3000, but if i ever decide to upgrade my M15 it would only be for the SP2000, but I have a feeling that one will remain about $2k even on the used market.
You have already been able to get them used from 1500 to 2k.

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 33
Update:

As of now, on eBay on the used market, the highest price for the M15 ranges from $1367 USD to the lowest price point currently at $724.

Looks like you can’t easily find a brand new sealed unit anymore.

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #22 of 33
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the market but I would trust my ears a lot more. I wouldn't sell my M15 even for the price I paid for it (1200 euros) and in any case in Italy (where I am) the official Fiio retailer sells a used M15 more expensive than a new M15S. I don't think there is much more to say...enjoy the great sound of the old M15 and stay as happy as I am now hearing it on the IER-Z1R. :wink:

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #24 of 33
I feel like price is more a function of people's perception of a brand, not of the quality of these products.
Actually, it’s a function of newer products being available. Why pay top $ for the older version when there is a newer version available? There are exceptions of course like when the older version has some features or internal components that are not available in the newer version but as a general rule older versions are worth less (like a used car).

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #25 of 33
Actually, it’s a function of newer products being available. Why pay top $ for the older version when there is a newer version available? There are exceptions of course like when the older version has some features or internal components that are not available in the newer version but as a general rule older versions are worth less (like a used car).
Maybe I wasn't precise in my thinking... I'm talking about the rapid devaluation of certain brands like Fiio versus other brands like A&K, not new products versus old products

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #26 of 33
... and in this devaluation, assistance is a fundamental part that is very often overlooked by some brands as can be seen from the previous posts...

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #28 of 33
and most of the time it would take very little not to make a bad impression, but in the end some brands tend more to attract new customers than to retain those who already are ... this is a choice that perhaps pays off in the short term, but in the long run it is absolutely loser.

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #29 of 33
I just going on the average of the prices on eBay. There was a guy earlier saying that it can be sold at any price either privately or on sites like Reddit. I would argue that if you had one you wanted to sell, the first thing you would do is check the average normal priced FiiO M15 on eBay/Amazon/Ali

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #30 of 33
Looks like there a lot of people (or one person with different seller names sporting exactly the same pictures) trying to sell their M15 for $2113.00. This is both ridiculous yet brilliant at the same time. He may not be targeting USA buyers in particular, but imagine it would sell fast from someone wanting one is the Asian countries area, where they can receive the item a lot sooner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back