Why is the Dynahi considered so difficult?
Apr 10, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 24
True, but the thing is, I will most likely be constructing it at home, since having soldering stuff in the rooms here is a no-no, some fire hazard or something...
biggrin.gif
. Therefore, I will have to build my own matching circuit, which doesn't look that complicated from the schematic.

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 24
In building my dynahi (currently not completed besides the electronics), the most difficult part was to pay for the components and to find some of the "harder to find" items, e.g., 2SJ109 and 2SK389. It requires alot of redundant parts to be purchased if you want to do good matching of components. I guess if your not too picky about the characteristics of the amp you could just populate it with whatever parts you buy in medium quantities and try it out.

Another point is that the dynahi gets hot, really hot
very_evil_smiley.gif
Becareful with heatsinking
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps.

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
Another point is that the dynahi gets hot, really hot
very_evil_smiley.gif
Becareful with heatsinking
smily_headphones1.gif

QFT. Even with these large heatsinks mine tends to overheat after 6+ hours and causes a little static in both channels. I'm considering installing some very small low cfm/db fans to help dissipate heat..

dynahiinside24sz3oh.jpg

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
Since I don't have any hardware to fabricate the metal parts, I will be outsourcing that anyways.

If you have to pay someone to do that for you, things can get expensive in a hurry... there are lots of holes to drill, and they need to be quite precisely aligned.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
Another option could be to have the amp boards built for you ( http://www.sft-audio.idv.tw/Module.html ) the Dynahi Amp Modules at the bottom of the page. I have a pair in my Dynahi. I'm not sure if SFT still sells these since you can't get to tat page directly from his home page (www.sft-audio.idv.tw) anymore.

I bought a set from someone who bought it from SFT. I'm pretty sure if anyone shoots a message to him he can get things happening. Excellent quality heatsinks BTW. Holes are matched near perfectly.

Apr 11, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 24
I forgot that I ran across SFT's site earlier. He has heatsinks and other miscellaneous parts available (http://www.sft-audio.idv.tw/Parts.html) for rather reasonable prices. As listed, it comes up to $56 for both amp boards and the PSU, which I suspect isn't much different than having them made for you.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #23 of 24
I know it sounds a bit farcial to suggest it, but it might be an idea to build an M3 first. The M3 will power your K340s well, and will sell for good money if you need to recoup your costs later for the dynahi build. It is not a difficult build (but is not an easy one either - hardest part is the casework) and highly rewarding.

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #24 of 24
Just like to mention the dynalo was the second amp I've ever built, and I built it from scratch that is designing the PCB and the works. It worked first time.

Just because it's "difficult" doesn't mean to put it on the backburner, It just means that it'll take time to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back