Why is Stax SR-001/003 called Baby Omega?
Apr 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the SR-001. It's the same as the 003 except that it comes with its own energiser which it can only work with due to its dedicated plug for that energiser. The 003 has the standard Stax plug so it can work with any Stax energiser.

As for sound quality, first and foremost, and most important of all - its extremely musical. Much more so than the Ety ER4P and Shure SE530 that I also own. It sounds quite effortless, another of its appealing qualities. Other than that, its bass in a bit laid back (not prominent) but it actually goes quite deep, more so than the SE530. Of the three, this is certainly my fav. However after recently getting the FAD 1601SB, I have to say that the FAD's trounce the SR-001 in every way; but then the FAD's are almost three times the price too.

I last compared the 003 against the Omega and Lambda almost three years back, but what I remember is that naturally both those bigger phones were more authoritative and had deeper more powerful bass. However the family sound was certainly there amongst all three and the 003 acquitted itself rather well.

Lastly, bear in mind that the 001/003 don't isolate at all.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Most certainly because it resemble the Omega (2) - sound wise.
It has got a beautiful midrange and powerful bass, like the O2. The "darkness" may be there are well, but like for the O2 it is really energizer dependent.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most certainly because it resemble the Omega (2) - sound wise.
It has got a beautiful midrange and powerful bass, like the O2. The "darkness" may be there are well, but like for the O2 it is really energizer dependent.

Does the 003 sound similar in character as the 001?

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the 003 sound similar in character as the 001?

I have not heard the SR-003. Have owned the SR-001MK2 system though.
The earphones themselves (SR-003 and S-001MK2) are identical apart from the plug - so it should be safe to assume they sound the exact same. Take the SRM-001 into account and it will be a different matter, all depending what you use to drive the SR-003.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 7
^ Yes the 001 & 003 are absolutely identical apart from the plug. However in practice they will sound different because you have to use different energizers with them - you can't use the 001 energiser with the 003; and you can't use use the standard Stax energisers with the 001.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back