Why is noone competing with Xin?
Mar 12, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho
confused.gif

Xin is not the only using SMD's.

I didn't know that. In that case, it's strange that nobody else has built amps as small as Xin's.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #33 of 48
Xin is a good guy. I buy his products because I know that if anything happend to the amp, he's the person that would answer my questions. Having a go-to person is priceless for me.

B

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 48
I always thought it was because most of the portable high-end amp market rated SQ as by far the most important factor, so most builders are more concerned about improving their sound than reducing size.

Xin's genius is that he has produced amps that are competitve in SQ but smaller.

I love the supermini. After using a pa2v2 for a while I considered going back to ampless - it didn't fit in my pocket and even the HeadRoom bags are a massive pain. The supermini allows me to put my rig in my pocket again and is great SQ wise. Plus I got it in the sale for $150 - gotta be happy with that
eggosmile.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #35 of 48
Back when I bought my amp, the Hornet was not available.

The only other competitor I was looking at was HeadRoom's MicroAmp.

What sold me on Xin's was when I saw a picture here on HeadFi of an SM3 right next to a MicroAmp. I was sold immediately.

Now that the Hornet's out, I'd still take Xin's for it's features. If I didn't like the four feature switch, then I'd think it would be a close call, but opamp rolling would cinch the deal for Xin's.

As far as size, Man, the Super Mini and Super Micro!

Those things are INSANELY small!!

I've never heard them, but just the fact that he made them is amazing. I mean the Super Micro is like a packet of gum
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #37 of 48
Haven't heard the Supermini, but I've heard PA2v2, Porta Corda, Airhead and Portable Pimeta. The Pimeta was the only one that distinguished itself from the others (IMO). The closest in size is the PA2v2. Does the PA2v2 even come close in SQ? If not, I think Xin has cornered the market.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
With the most respect and courtesy (with a joking, tongue in cheek, and completely sociable attitude
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
):

I was a factory trained Land Rover (Range Rover is the flagship model) Master Technician. Trust me, it's got way too many bells and whistles that constantly fail. It's very capable, probably the best offroader in factory form, but only when it actually runs. When they do run, they leak all over the place. Like many newer cars (I was also a Master Jaguar Tech, and worked on Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lexus, Mercedes, and Maserati) they're full of engineering flaws and electrical nightmares.

I didn't mean this as a flame, but completely tongue-in cheek, and being completely sociable 'cause I'm semi-retired now and really bored
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

So I'd have to say Xin's amps are opposite of many new cars and more like Apple products: attractive and easy to use. Then again Apple's not perfect, their stuff breaks too (ghast, horrors to the Cult of Mac). I'm sure that's what Chri5peed meant to say about Xin's amps. And it is a very good compliment because in terms of prestige, Xin's amp is the Range Rover, Cartier, Godiva of portable headphone amps. In this way Chri5peed is absolutely, completely correct.

Team UK!! (Don't mind me everyone, my fingers are just twitchy and so is my boredom)

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

I have to comment on cars, the 2002 Jag I had was the best car I have had in 10 years. For example over the last 5 years I have owned:
-2001 BMW 525: Piece of Junk, sold it.
-2002 Audi TT Quatro Roadster: Piece of Junk, sold it.
-2002 Jaguar S-Type V8: Best Car I have owned in the last 10 years, I am sorry I sold it
mad.gif

-2004 Lexus RX-330: Very Nice, still have it.
-2004 Corvette rag top: Very Nice, still have it.
-1970 VW Beetle: BEST CAR EVER
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I have to comment on cars, the 2002 Jag I had was the best car I have had in 10 years. For example over the last 5 years I have owned:
-2001 BMW 525: Piece of Junk, sold it.
-2002 Audi TT Quatro Roadster: Piece of Junk, sold it.
-2002 Jaguar S-Type V8: Best Car I have owned in the last 10 years, I am sorry I sold it
mad.gif

-2004 Lexus RX-330: Very Nice, still have it.
-2004 Corvette rag top: Very Nice, still have it.
-1970 VW Beetle: BEST CAR EVER
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I like your avatar, VW Beetles rule!
eggosmile.gif

My current car: 2004 Toyota Corolla. Cars are ok. I hate all work, especially the dealership car biz, but fixing them made me lots of money for 17 years. I didn't spend, and saved my $$$. Now I'm retired at 33, about to move back to Europe (two pads: London and Paris), and passing time learning and helping others here at Head-Fi. It's a nice group of people here.

Selling the Corolla soon. My future transportation: Enjoying my retirement using London and European subways, buses, and walking to the corner shop with Ipod and Xin SM3 in hand. No more cars, insurance, repairs, accidents, or fueling for me. Just need to recharge the laptop, amp, and Ipod for tunes. (and a few carbs for my walking legs too).

1968 VW Beetle was my favorite too: It was how I learned to fix cars, to have a career, and to be retired now. It's just like Xin's stuff: cheap, honest, lightweight, reliable, great energy management.

But my SM3 doesn't smell like hydrocarbons (fuel) or belch smoke or make really loud noises when I start or run it or leak oil. That's a good thing.
icon10.gif

Oh, and it fits in my pocket too.
icon10.gif

Sorry about the rambling everyone. Just an overdrawn Xin analogy, and my boredom expressing itself through Mac keyboard.

Three Cheers for Xin (now only if he would show up on fixup.net soon so we wouldn't have to discuss competition, but then again cordial discussion is the Head-Fi way)
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
(now only if he would show up on fixup.net soon so we wouldn't have to discuss competition, but then again cordial discussion is the Head-Fi way)
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Xin's BAAAACK!!! He can be seen in his forum again. Horay~

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by libertine
Wow that supermini looks v.tempting for sure. Anyone tried it with UM2's?

Actually, the UM2s work pretty well un-amped but I do find a noticeable improvement. However, using the line out on the iPod made a big difference & therefore the amp. I also use my RS-1s in this combination, and the amp improvements are even more noticeable.

I really like the Supermini 3 - size, build quality and most important sound.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5
Xin's BAAAACK!!! He can be seen in his forum again. Horay~

Head-Fi is soooooooo cool!

No wonder I'm addicted like everyone else.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #44 of 48
I think a new small amp design (super mini or smaller) using lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries would be interesting. These batteries pack a higher energy density than NiMHs, they have the voltage of 3 NiMHs, they're more space efficient because of their shape (square / flat) and are increasingly easy to find. I've seen several DIY projects outside the headamp space that use Li-Ion batteries from other products that are easy to find relatively cheap on ebay, so I don't see why something with the volume of a Xin amp couldn't use them too.
They're more expensive but they last longer, and have the other potential benefits I mentioned. Come on, Dr. Xin, lets see a new amp design!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back