Why is no one helping me
Jan 8, 2021 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shysteve40

New Head-Fier
Hi, Guys Steve here from New York. I have the Sennheiser HD820 headphones. I am using them with this, headphone amplifier. Sony Premium Hybrid Headphone amplifier TA-ZH1ES. The HD-820 stock cable broke the other day. so I ordered a good replacement cable XLR Silver Dragon Premium Cable for Sennheiser Headphones latest addition. Did I make the right choice in replacement cable with my setup? What I am wondering would the XLR Premium Dragon Copper Cable have been a better choice than the Silver one I got? Keep in mind the Sony amp I am using is a $2k+ amp in price. Please Respond with all and any help

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi, Guys Steve here from New York. I have the Sennheiser HD820 headphones. I am using them with this, headphone amplifier. Sony Premium Hybrid Headphone amplifier TA-ZH1ES. The HD-820 stock cable broke the other day. so I ordered a good replacement cable XLR Silver Dragon Premium Cable for Sennheiser Headphones latest addition. Did I make the right choice in replacement cable with my setup? What I am wondering would the XLR Premium Dragon Copper Cable have been a better choice than the Silver one I got? Keep in mind the Sony amp I am using is a $2k+ amp in price. Please Respond with all and any help
While I do not own a HD-820, I do have a variety of h/p cables from 6N (99.9999%) copper to palladium-silver, in single-end and XLR. A couple of these are Moon Audio’s Silver Dragon. These are great cables (based on my experience with Audeze LCD-X, Rosson RAD-0, and Sennheiser HD-600). The SDs really allow transients to occur naturally and, to my ears, are very linear and extend the frequency range. The SDs convey ambience, if in the recording, very well. Lastly, let your ears and heart decide if what you hear from the 820s+SD is right (to your liking); don’t let the price alone of your Sony influence you.

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the TA and use it with the MDR-Z1R. Never tried the HD820 or those cables. Though take note many in the MDR-Z1R thread admire a silver upgrade cable over the typical KImber upgrade cable.

There will always be an element of uncertainty with purchases. At times folks like silver and at times copper. In a way this mystery is part of the excitement of the hobby, as at times stuff works out, other times, not. Even if someone gives advice here, it may not be related to what your end experience will be.

Cheers!

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 8
The Sony TA-ZH1ES is not a neutral amplifier based on my testing, so it is impossible to say which cable is the best choice when your amp has it’s own signature too.

Based on my testing, Moon audio cables offer descent price / performance ratio, so you should be fine I think with your current one.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 8
315$ for a headphone cable is ridiculous. Sorry but it is. A cable can only bring you a change in sound if it’s faulty. Otherwise you are merely paying for the exact same sound quality you’re going to get hooking your Sennheiser up to any other working cable.
Looking for better sound via cables is like fishing for sharks in the Sahara. A mad venture.
Save your dough for something meaningful.

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 8
I get cables for jewelry effect. I can’t tell one from the other. If you want a cable because it makes you happy go ahead. My Abyss 1266 cable is over 2k for 10ft.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Biggest problem in your setup is maybe the 820.

You're such a gentleman with that "maybe" :smile:

Steve, the cable isn't going to make a difference in sound, especially when that sound is coming out of the 820 of all things. The headphones are by far the most important part of the audio chain (provided that the amp used is powerful enough to drive whatever headphone is plugged into it). However, If you're happy with the sound of the 820, rock on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back