Why is my system so bright?
Feb 6, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 19
Ok, definitely system synergy was the problem. I just switched in an A&S Kenzie Encore tube amp and I am in heaven! Midrange and bass have come forward without sacrificing detail or high frequency. This is just what I was looking for. I got the Encore used with a lifetime worth of input and power tubes to try out and I’m only on the first set!

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 19
I have put together a headphone system for listening at night. It is detailed and sounds good in many ways particularly with excellent recordings but is just too bright with a lot of music. I am a little lost as to where to start making changes and could use some help.

Source is quobuz and local flac files played through Audirvana on a M1 Mac mini. USB out to my benchmark dac2. Balanced out to Audio gd amp 1. Balanced out to lcdx 2021 version. All cables are good quality name brand stuff but I do use a 10 ft extension cable with the headphones.

There is good bass and the highs are detailed and sweet but the mids are recessed and lacking body which makes the overall sound a bit too bright and light weight with too much of the music I like to listen to.

I don’t want to just start throwing money at it and changing everything without some direction so I’m hoping for some suggestions on where to start.
I would suggest you get rid of your amp and dac and buy a used mojo 1 to reset your auditory expectations and start over. The one thing mojo does well is it’s non offensive and approximates what a hi end sound should sound like. Once your ears have been rehabilitated you can figure out which aspects of sound reproduction you would like to improve and go from there.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #18 of 19
Ok, definitely system synergy was the problem. I just switched in an A&S Kenzie Encore tube amp and I am in heaven! Midrange and bass have come forward without sacrificing detail or high frequency. This is just what I was looking for. I got the Encore used with a lifetime worth of input and power tubes to try out and I’m only on the first set!

Bold move! What made you decide on the Kenzie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back