Why is my Firefox crashing so often?
Jan 13, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 18
Is Microsoft at it again..???
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I'm not using any extensions, that I know of. If I remove and reinstall, I for sure don't want to lose all my bookmarked sites.

You can always save your bookmarks just in case. Just go to Bookmarks->manage bookmarks->File->Export and save as whatever filename. Then just import it after you reinstall. Although, I forgot if the bookmarks even disappear after a re-install.

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo diaz
Tabs or windows?

I have a few windows and tabs open and nothing is happening to me.

=\

Try re-installing it?

tabs, definately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I'm not using any extensions, that I know of. If I remove and reinstall, I for sure don't want to lose all my bookmarked sites.

go to mozilla firefox/defaults/profile/ folder where you installed firefox and just copy the bookmarks.html and paste it some where safe. then when you reinstall just import it throught firefox bookmarks.

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 18
Because 1.5 stinks? I wish I'd never upgraded. I never had a problem with 1.0, 1.5 does strange things with tabs and crashes occasionally, while offering precisely nothing useful that 1.0 didn't. Sigh.

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 18
twice that i can remember recently,that's one more than the original fire fox

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #14 of 18
1. When you upgraded to FF 1.5, did you do a fresh install or did you upgrade over a previous version? I find that this is a frequent cause of ongoing FF and Thunderbird problems -- always uninstall and fresh install.

2. A terrific open-source program is Mozilla Backup, which works great with Mozilla, FF, and TB. I use it daily to archive our Office emails. It makes the bother of uninstalling old/fresh-installing new versions a breeze. []http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/]

3. I find that many long-term Windows users don't devote any time to system maintenance. That surprises me, inasmuch as Windows is a goodish old OS as long as it's working correctly, but it's a hellish irritant when it's not. I've encountered people who will put up with ongoing screw-ups for months at a time but who never learn even basic repair procedures (I'm not saying that's any of you guys). I just reinstalled my landlord's Toshiba laptop the other day, because he'd picked up some sort of virus or trojan. He'd never done any sort of maintenance to his system, and he wasn't even sure whether his antivirus has a working subscription.

When things are going wrong:
A. run Scandisk
B. clean your system - Clearprog is free (http://www.clearprog.de/index.php?lang=en)
C. Run a registry fixer/cleaner program like Registry First Aid, RegHealer, Norton WinDoctor or RegSupreme
D. Defrag your main partition

[[Again, I'm sure all of you are well past this but:
E. Consider using another antivirus
F. Install a software firewall program if you haven't]]

I know, this is all so absurdly basic, but I'll warrant that somebody out there has never tried these things.

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 18
Hmmm, my old 0.8 crashes pretty frequently, too (without the need to remove it via task manager, though...) - but I'm aware that this is due to the known "position fixed"-bug, which is often triggered by banner ads these days. I guess I should really upgrade someday, but apparently I'm fairly patient - at least more so than to be bothered with the totally obscure security options in IE.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back