Why is itunes messing up my classical library?
Aug 6, 2005 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
This is probably operator error, but I still need help.

When I rip jazz or pop CDs, itunes goes out and gets the track names, CD title, etc. and everything is wonderful. When I drop in a classical CD the retrieved information has the composers last name for every track name, and the track names (movements) in the artist column. This really plays hell with the organization in the library browser. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks

gerG

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
This is probably operator error, but I still need help.

When I rip jazz or pop CDs, itunes goes out and gets the track names, CD title, etc. and everything is wonderful. When I drop in a classical CD the retrieved information has the composers last name for every track name, and the track names (movements) in the artist column. This really plays hell with the organization in the library browser. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks

gerG

This is not iTunes's fault. It's the fault of people who typed in the CD info in Gracenote web database (which is what iTunes uses). It's relatively easy to get different people to type in info in correct fashion for rock, jazz, etc, but classical CD's don't follow the artist, title, album format, so people type in what they perceive as the correct scheme.

Things are even worse for classical CD's for Foobar, which use freedb.org.

There's no way around it. Either put up with crappy tags or retype your own.

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Thanks Jon.

I was afraid of that. It really bogs down ripping.

Any way to point itunes (or foobar) to a different cddb?

gerG

iTunes is not open-source, so you can't change the default to something else. Luckily, gracenobe is a great resource, better than freedb IME. It's just that many classical tags are entered incorrectly in both.

In foobar, you can choose among many different freedb servers (located in US, Germany, California, etc), but they are still all freedb. One good thing about freedb is if there are 2 or 3 different inputs for a given album, you can choose one of them, increasing the chance you will find one that fits your tagging style. But still most inputs, even with 2-3 inputs, don't adhere to what I would consider 'correct.'

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 6
This is something I've noticed and freedb doesn't do any better on balance IMO. The only recourse is that when I'm ripping classical CD's, I watch the track names like a hawk and edit it if necessary. I also have a friendly local post processing company who I sometimes get to do my rips when I have a mountain of them and I ask them to check the title against the CD. So far, so good.

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 6
I would be a LOT easier to edit at the database level (swapping entire columns in excell or the like). Is there a way to pull the info down into a local database, then load titles from that one?

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back